Why won't my stop lights work?

I have a 2001 ford focus. 4-door, 4 cylinder, & when i come to a stop, the brake lights don't come on. All my lights work, the radio, turn signals,back-up lights too. The only lights that didn't are the brake lights when i come to a stop. The bulks are new, & the fuses are fine. Everything was checked & we can't seem to find the problem. Months ago, the "Check the battery light came on," But nothing was found wrong? Now that the brake stop lights don't work, the battery light don't turn on. So I think it has to do with something around the battery maybe,? Also my battery is new. any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

the stop lamp circuit is a very simple circuit to diagnose. the power at the fuse, which you've already checked. check the power at the brake switch, one side hot, the other dead. then stomp on the brake. both sides of the switch should have voltage. if not, it's a bad brake switch.

from there it usually goes into the turn signal switch. complicated mess of wires. without a diagram, i wouldn't touch it!

check for power with a test lamp out back at the lamp itself. have an assistant step on the brakes while you gently and carefully probe the brake terminal of the stop lamp socket. the lamp should illuminate each time the brake is pressed.

Source(s): professional technician since 2002

Brake light switch. Not sure where it's located on your car, but usually it's down around the brake pedal. Lay on your back near the brake pedal and push the pedal down while looking up toward the dash. You should be able to spot it.

Well, if everything was checked, they should be working, right?

Obviously, something wasn't.

I guess I'd start by checking the brake light switch for adjustment, power, and functionality.

If it's working and properly adjusted, whether or not it has power to it would tell me how to proceed from there.

Source(s): ASE Certified Tech

May have just gone out. Just try to replace you lights or take it to a shop