What is the best dry food for Pekingese?

Favorite Answer

You can check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com or http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com for more indepth explainations as to why each ingredients in a dog food are good or bad, but generally, you want to avoid any dog foods containing grains, corns or byproducts. Corn and grains aren't nutritious for dogs, and they're known causes of allergies. Byproducts are categorized as anything unfit for human consumption... So, that could mean eyes, tails, intestines, etc.

Some brands that are actually good are orijen, blue wilderness, wellness core, instinct, evo, merricks, canidae, acana, evangers, taste of the wild and ziwipeak. I'm not sure which brands are available where you are.. But hopefully this gives you a bit of a selection.

There is also the raw diet option, which you can read more about at preymodelraw.com, but even if you cant feed a whole raw diet as I cant either.. I really recommend a raw beef rib once or twice a week for dental hygiene, or lamb legs.. You'd be amazed how well their teeth look after being on raw bones for awhile.. Even my vets are always amazed.

Raw eggs are also nice for a healthy skin and coat, and are good for overall health as well... I give my dogs a raw egg once or twice a week, though some people even give it to their dogs everyday. And by eggs I mean shell and all. For the nutrients in an egg to be balanced that's required.

If you don't want to deal with eggs though you can instead add a simple salmon oil pill once a day. They're sold at petstores which is nice.

Make sure they have lots of water. Then if you want to give them some extra moisture, get some high quality wet food, which can be mixed into the dry or given on the side. It use to be thought that dry food was best for dogs because it had more of certain ingredients. Yet they have discovered that wet food can also be very beneficial, mostly because of the moisture in it. So I always recommend a balanced diet of both, 2/3 dry and 1/3 wet. Don't give them milk. It will upset their stomache. If you want to mix a liquid into their food, use water. But generally a wet food is better and more palettable than doing so.