Is it possible that a black hole could be a portal to another dimension?

Is it? And also, has anyone ever jumped into a black hole?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

No, and no.

Black holes aren't portals. A portal is, essentially, a doorway that stuff can move through. If a black hole was a portal, the matter that caused it would move thorough. As soon as it did, there wouldn't be enough mass for the black hole to exist, and it would disappear. So we know a black hole can't be a portal, because if it was, it wouldn't exist.

And nobody has "jumped into" one--the nearest one is at least 1500 light years away--that's more than 750,000 times as far as our most distant space probes.

• 7 years ago

This is a very popular notion based on the elementary idea that we do not really know even in theory what happens beneath the event horizon of a black hole.

Yes, a black hole could be a portal to another universe; it could also be many other things; it could remain forever a mystery. At this point, it is all moot as the event horizon is like a force field, impenetrable by anything; the proper interpretation is that it is a time field; a place where there is no time. Thus there exists no time in which an event can occur. This is in opposition to Hawking's theory that there exists a series of events in which black holes eventually dissipate.

This is covered more fully in the article linked below.

http://voices.yahoo.com/my-contribution-science-as...

And here is an article related to the concept of understanding the boundaries of the universe.

http://ultraviolet-oasis.deviantart.com/art/The-Ed...

• spot a
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

A black hole on Earth, is not a portal to another dimension. People have jumped into black holes on Earth.

A so-called "black hole" in space is an object with such huge gravity that even light cannot escape from it. It is not a hole at all. Other objects that get too close to a "black hole" get pulled in, They disappear from our sight when they cross the event horizon and they join the mass of the "black hole" making its gravitational strength even greater.

Steven Hawking believes "black holes" emit Hawking radiation and eventually evaporate. If this is the case, the one at the centre of our galaxy is taking a long time to evaporate. If they pull in more mass as time goes by, does this delay their eventual evaporation

• 7 years ago

By "dimension" are you referring to a parallel universe?

Either way, it could be possible. Once past the event horizon, nothing to very little is known.

A black hole has a singularity - infinite density but no volume. Essentially, if you were to "jump" into a black hole (which you cannot do, you would be pulled in by the gravitational pull), you would be infinitely crushed.

But, hey, who knows?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It could be possible but it will take some high tech equipment to find out since black holes are one of the most hostile things in the universe.NO humans had jumped into a blackhole,they are far away.The farthest a human has been on space is the moon -_-

Source(s): (*.) _ (*.)
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It may be possible that is one of the theroys and no no one has ever went in a black hole

• DrDave
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I personally don't know anyone who has spent their life traveling to one at the speed of light to find out or jump in. Do you?

• 7 years ago

I have. I'm still there, actually (it's amazing how I still get 4G). There are unicorns, fast cars, and sexy women (yes, there's also sexy men for all the girls). They also have a video game simulator room, where you're IN the game (no, EA sports, we are in the game, its not). It's like real life warfare! And best of all, a woman stays in your home as your wife to make sandwichs (yeah, that kind too)! It is the best world ever!

Source(s): I spun at a zero turn radius to be in my favorite show (Carter and Briggs)
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It is a theory they may do that, but they are in a galaxy far,far away

H-Man

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.