Car dealership mixed up vin numbers and sold me the car I wanted for the price of a less expensive car.?

Last week I purchased a Ford C-Max SEL. I made the deal agreeing on the purchase price of the car. We put a large down payment and then had the bank finance the balance. Now the dealership is calling to say they made a mistake and mixed up the vin numbers on two similar cars. The car I brought home (the one I wanted) was about $4k more than the one with the vin on all the paperwork. Now they want me to pay another $3.5k because of their mistake and because my car should have cost at least 31k. Do they have the right to make us pay the difference when it has been a week and they are the ones that messed up? I didn't want to pay more than 30k and with taxes and warranty we paid a bit more than that. It was not our fault and we had no idea until they called us today owning up to their mistake. What are our rights in this situation?

Favorite Answer

Auto finance is what I do for a living and yes they can do this.

Look at it this way, they made a mistake most likely entered the wrong stock number in their computer when the deal was built. (happens way to often) and you actually bought the cheaper car not the one your driving.

Or look at this way, legally you bought and financed the vehicle that is listed on your paperwork by the vin number. So your driving the wrong vehicle.

It doe's not matter how the mistake was made you really only have 2 choices.

1. Return the vehicle your driving and take delivery of the one your actually bought.

2. Return and sign new paperwork on the vehicle your driving now. Which is the one you wanted in the first place.

Good luck.

Source(s): Finance Manager for a car dealer for over 12-years.

2

Source(s): Vehicle History Reports Database : http://VIN.trustdd.com/?aHZk

The absolutely free reverse vin check sites generally provide fake information. To get real information, money will have to be paid. The free searches provide fake information so they can get your email address to send spam.

Stay away from shady reverse vin check sites, most likely you won't get any information after you make the payment. Not to mention you won't get a report and you won't get an answer if you try to call for a refund. Stick with a reputable reverse vin check site like http://www.reversevincheck.net that has been around since 1995.

You made a deal on the car. Check you have the right VIN number on the paperwork you have.

If you have tell them they did the deal their problem.

If not tell them to either correct the paperwork or you will return the car and sue them for inconvenience and loss. You will also talk to the local paper, radio and TV. They do not need bad publicity.

Once they have taken the money on the car you had no way to know that is was their mistake.

I would tell them that they did the deal and it is their problem.

1

Source(s): Vehicle Complete Record http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?HM9m

I don't see how they can do that. They should have to deal with the mistake. I'd check your VIN with your paperwork just to make sure everything matches.