ranchero asked in PetsRodents · 7 years ago

How do i save up on hamster bedding?

I am making a bin cage for my new hamster so i can give a lot of space to run around and play , but since I will have a bigger cage that means more bedding.. PLEASE HELP!!!

Favorite Answer

Hi!

Having a larger cage also mean fewer bedding changes so you could already save in the long run. To save even more on hamster bedding, you can do the following:

1) Spot-clean and pick out any stained bedding/poop every day. If you do this, your cage won't stink up even if you don't make a full bedding change for a while

2) Have a hamster toilet/bath with sand in it. I find my hamsters more likely to pee on the sand than in other areas. You can buy the toilet/bath at any pet shop or make your own: http://dwarfhamsterblog.com/diy-hamster-bath-house...

3) Make your own bedding, ErinsHamsters on Youtube has a great video that teaches you how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNz6fwEvrjs

Youtube thumbnail

Recipe for Homemade bedding

supplies

Cut Up Paper

Drainer or Old T-Shirt

Big Bucket or Pot

Step 1:

Put all the Cut Up Paper in the big bucket

Step 2:

Put water in with it

Step 3:

Squeeze the Paper

Step 4:

Dump the paper in drainer and squeeze some more.

Step 5:

Repeat This Twice

Source(s): I was fooling around and made it

Go to Walmart and get a few rolls of 79 cent paper towels. Ripe them apart into their sheets and put a few layers on the bottom of the cage. Also the hamster will love ripping them up and playing with them and it will give him something to do.

Source(s): Hamster owner

A cheap bedding I recommend and use myself is Kaytee Clean and Cozy. It lasts a long time since it comes compressed and its safe, unscented, and fluffy and soft. My hamster loves it. Only $8-15 at Petsmart and sometimes there are sales.

You can use shredded paper or tissue but it wont be as absorbent or odor controlling.

use cut up newspaper, old magazines, etc.