PP asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 7 years ago

Can I still be a doctor?

I'm 20 years old, and I have one year left of college. Currently, I'm an English major- but I (wholeheartedly) want to be a doctor, it is the best human helping career.

Or a nurse.

Yeah, You would just have to change majors, and probably schools. I would worry about studying and consider all of the things required to become a doctor, for instance : the massive amounts of money it would cost to go to school,(most doctorates cannot be achieved in less than 6 years) and if you really wanna be in school for the next 6 years of your life as well. Granted, if you do this you'll come out of a school 26-27 years old and on the road to being a doctor, (which is still relatively young).. but, this is not something that can be accomplished quickly. Not to mention you have to be of above average intelligence.

However, if you really want to help people, you can be a nurse with a few certifications, some can be earned in as little as 90 days.

So it all comes down to one question.What do you want to do with your life?

I am in my thirties. I decided to go back to school in 2011. Prior to this, I was the owner of Midwest Contracting Inc. for ten years. I have three semesters left until I am a chemist. You can do anything you want to if you are willing to do what it takes in order to acquire it. I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't like careers in the field of English, don't do it. You are still young. I wasted ten years of my life on a business that, in the end, I sold all of the assets and broke even. I wasted ten years of my life.

Source(s): Experience