Would this be a good prank to play on my brother?

I'm 16, and he's 13. I was thinking about putting a fuse in place of the light bulb in his bedroom lamp. When he turns it on, it will go POOF and the power will go out in his room. He'll have to go down to the basement to reset the breaker. LOL

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Playing pranks with electricity is the way people get hurt and/or houses get burned down. Electricity is NOT a toy to play with.

Source(s): Electronics technician for 55 years.
  • 7 years ago

That will only work if the fuse has a smaller current rating than the breaker on that circuit. Otherwise it may trip the breaker and he may make a couple of trips before he realizes that you've pranked him.

Also, intentionally creating a short-circuit CAN have unintended consequences. You might accidentally "discover" a connection between the breaker and his lamp that is poorly done, and so he may flip on the lamp and nothing may happen visibly, until maybe you smell smoke and notice that the attic is on fire.

A better prank would be to buy one of those flasher buttons that are commonly sold around the winter holidays and put it under the bulb. When he turns the lamp on, it will soon begin to flash on and off.

• 7 years ago

There are so many things that could go wrong, it isn't even funny to think about this prank. Putting a small fuse into a direct short can even make the fuse explode. A fire could then break out and the whole house can burn down on this really unsafe action.

Why not just go down the stairs and turn off the breaker to his room so that when he goes in there, the lights won't work. A much safer prank than what you are proposing!

Source(s): ~Industrial Electrician
  • krn001
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I agree with Mustanger, electricity is to be respected. If you freak him out, YOU'LL be the one resetting the breaker after changing bulbs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Go down there first put on a scary mask and when he gets down say muhahaha and poke him with a stick or if u really wana scare him hold a knife. LOL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.