My oh Mike asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Should the Athletics protest their loss to Indians on Adam Rosales' 9th inning HR for a "double"?

Angel Hernandez should be banned from the game...

• Fozzy
    Favorite Answer

No they should not protest it.

"But Fozzy, the umpire blew the call".

Yes, but baseball does not allow for an "official protest" of a game due to an error (or perceived error) on a judgment call. Otherwise you'd end up with nearly every game being protested. Instead, protest can be made if an umpire interprets a rule incorrectly, or perhaps if a team feels that the field was in too poor a condition to play, etc.

Sorry, but people need to grow the hell up and realize that NOBODY is perfect.

• M

I didn't see the play, and won't be able to until later on tonight.

However, this isn't so much an Angel Hernandez issue as it is a Major League Baseball issue. For the longest time, people have been lobbying for a better umpiring system, perhaps one that consists of technology.

I'm not saying we should do away with umpires or anything like that. My point is, this isn't an Angel Hernandez issue. There was an umpire earlier on in the year who called an obvious ball-four a strike, ending the game and costing the Rays a chance at winning. Also, we all know what happened with Jim Joyce missing the call at 1st base, robbing Armando G. of a perfect game.

At any rate, as an Angels fan, I don't feel sorry for the A's. :p

Angel Hernandez blew the game BIG TIME!!! I'm an A's fan and I still can't believe they didn't give Rosales the HR. MLB should fire Hernandez. 1 game can change the whole season, you saw last year when the A's won the division on there LAST game against the Texas Rangers! There needs to be a protest! I am not saying that the A's could have won if they tied, but C'mon that HR would have tied the game and who knows what could have happened after that, but that call is unreal! Whats the point of Replaying HR's if they can't even call the right play??

Source(s): Baseball
  • Jason

The Athletics were robbed, but you can't protest a judgment call.

Hernandez is a poor umpire. Perhaps the worst in the game.

That's one of the problems with replay. A game between the Indians and the A's are going to have a lot less TV cameras than a Yankee/Red Sox game. It makes it a lot harder to get a good shot of the play with less cameras.

• this was a ridiculous call by the umpire. i mean, they already have instant replay and possibly 4 different angles to look at and they still can't get the call right. it did hit the fence above the yellow line and this is just a home run to call.

I didn't see if they reviewed that. If they did and it will stayed a double, then the crew chief (who I assume was Hernandez) should be fined and banned.

It was a horrible call. But, I think a protest has to be made immediately. You can't do it after the game is over. So, I think the A's are screwed.

They can't. You can't protest a judgement call. You can only protest rule interpretation issues.