Will I go to hell for beliveing in evolution and other scientific things?

In school and tv ive seen a bunch of science things that disagree with all of the bible stuff and I was woundering that if I still belive in god and other stuff will I go to hell for beliveing in evolution and other things with more scientific facts like how he earth was created and other things like that?

Favorite Answer

Why would you go to Michigan?

• CRR

God gave you a brain and expects you to use it. It sounds like you are believing because so far you have only heard one side of the story. There are serious flaws in the theory of evolution that never get mentioned in school, or on TV. Take the time to really understand the topic by visiting a good science based Creationist web site.

I agree with CRR. Just look for both sides of the story, not just the one they indoctrinate you with in government schools. Be different, look for the dissenters. Darwin was a dissenter, wasn't he?

I agree that you should read Darwin's books, and that will help show you how crazy his ideas were. God invented science, told us to do it, and being skeptical is good for science. Creationists invented modern science, and it takes a Christian worldview in order to do science now. No true science disagrees with a correct reading of the Bible. Why do you think they call creationists names? If the theory of evolution is so strong, why do they crush the doubters? Isn't challenging theories what science is supposed to do?

No.

Do not let the small groups of Atheists and Creationists make you believe that you have to choose between God and humanity's ongoing discovery of God's Creation through Science. This is not true.

Truth cannot contradict Truth. -- Pope Leo XIII

Most Jews and Christians do not take the stories of creation in the Bible literally. We believe the stories included in first 11 chapters of Genesis tell religious truth but not necessarily historical fact.

One of the religious truths is that God created everything and declared all was good.

Catholics can believe in the theories of the big bang or evolution or both or neither.

On August 12, 1950 Pope Pius XII said in his encyclical Humani generis:

The Teaching Authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God.

Here is the complete encyclical: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encycli...

And here is the Address of Pope John Paul II to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences on October 22, 1996 speaking of the Theory of Evolution: http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

Here is an interesting article about Pope John Paul II's opinion in the matter: http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm...

The Church supports science in the discovery of God's creation. At this time, the big bang and evolution are the most logical scientific explanations.

As long as we believe that God started the whole thing, both the Bible and responsible modern science can live in harmony.

Here is a nice list of Christian thinkers in science: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thi...

The Clergy Letter Project an open letter endorsing the Theory of Evolution signed by over 12,000 clergy from many different Christian denominations: http://www.butler.edu/clergyproject/rel_evol_sun.h...

I suggest you read "New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy" by Robert J. Spitzer http://www.amazon.com/New-Proofs-Existence-God-Con...

http://www.magisreasonfaith.org/

With love in Christ.

• Cindy

Let me ask you a question, Max. What is it you have to do to "get into heaven?" "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved." "Whoever believes in Me shall not perish but have everlasting life." "My sheep hear My voice and I know them and they follow Me, and I give unto them eternal life and they shall never die." Do you see anything here that insists you must believe in a literal interpretation of the entirety of holy scripture or you will burn in hell for all eternity? I don't.

But what is it Jesus came to save us from? Hell? Well, that's a corollary I suppose, although the word "hell" never crossed His lips (no, not even in Hebrew or Greek.) He spoke of Hades, which is the Hebrew scriptures' translation of sheol into the Greek of the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Torah -- our Old Testament). Sheol gets translated into "hell" in some English versions of the Bible, but that's not what it really means. It means "the grave" or "the hidden." In fact, Old English "hel" also meant something that is hidden; you might have a "hel" of root vegetables stored away in your root cellar, for example. So maybe it wasn't such a bad translation back in the day. Today it has become inaccurate because of the evolution of our language.

The other word Jesus used that people translate "hell" is Gehenna, which is a valley outside Jerusalem -- you can still visit "hell" and even have a picnic there if you want to (and there aren't any missiles raining down -- but who'd bomb hell, after all? What would be the point?) The Jews used to sacrifice their children to the god Moloch there. There's a whole chest full of metaphor there. Bottom line, if you do all these stupid things, your life will be sacrificed to vanity -- wasted.

No, Jesus didn't come to save us from hell, but from sin. That's scriptural; read Romans or any number of other places. "You shall call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins." Gabriel said that, but I don't remember off-hand whether he was talking to Mary or Joseph at the time.

So it isn't actually about going to hell so much as it's about getting TO the Father.

But evolution? Nah -- not a problem. I don't know whether it's wrong or right, but it isn't a tenet of the Christian faith. Plenty of bonafide genuine Jesus-following Christians believe in evolution and other scientific things. The Bible is full of metaphors and they aren't less true for not being historical. In fact, the mythic significance of the creation story is far more important than its historicity, or lack thereof.

No... I believe that evolution was a big part of God's plan. I mean,,, is there any bigger test of faith than what science presents us with? The big question is who created the universe? Who created space? Why are we here? What is existence? It is all a fantastic mystery that we get to find out when we die. Maybe our lights go out and thats it... But I believe that the relationships we build over time are not for nothing. I believe that our consciousness continues and it is everlasting. believe what you want to believe in. As long as you are a good person and you live a descent life, God will love you no matter what.

• sprite

Well, if you believe in evolution and other 'scientific things' then you should also have reached the conclusion that there's no such thing as hell. Hell is like the Boogyman; it was created to scare children and adults into obedience.

• Skunky

No, evolution is a fact. It dosnt contridict the bible. It dosnt say god didnt make us via evolution. The world wasnt made in 7 days, we know it took millions of years. Remember the bible is mans interpritation thousands of years ago.

• Z

Evolution is a myth, no one in their right mind would believe that theory, and science comes from God.

no, you go to hell by denying christ is the son of god. if you are below the age of accountability than it won't apply. but about puberty or higher, yes.

if you lived your life without any knowledge of christ then you are judged by your actions, needs, intent.

many christians believe in evolution, but they are ignorant of the actual facts. it won't send them to hell however.

You might flunk biology for "believing" in evolution instead of understanding it, but I don't think the penalties include hell ;-)