Lauren
Lauren asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 years ago

Women I need your personal experience?

I suffer with awful period pain (cramping, vomiting, sweating) i'm 16. There's more to the reason behind my pain than just the average hormone reason but that's not important. I've been told after child birth and as you get older the pain gets less intense is it true? I DON'T want links to websites that help with pain (trust me I've read them all) I want YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with period pain and weather it decreased over time. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Okay so this isn't my personal experience, which I apologize for, but the experience of a lady I know. She had cramps that were worse than when she had kids. Over time, though, they got less extreme. I don't really know why...hormone balancing perhaps?

Here is something that will help; that I have done. When I have horrific cramps I take vitamin B6 and calcium. I don't know exactly why B6 helps, but I read it eliminates bloating, which apparently helps. And besides, I know it works from experience. Calcium relaxes muscles.

Note: a B complex does not have enough B6 in it to help. When taking calcium, make sure it is not calcium carbonate. Your body is not only unable to absorbe calcium carbonate, but it actually blocks your body from absorbing the calcium it needs.

Avoid spinach and too much chocolate. Both block calcium absorption, although spinach is far worse. Try to avoid sugary food in general as it depletes B vitamins. Lack of B vitamins also causes moodiness and irritability.

Oh definitely avoid caffeine, and especially coffee. Both make cramps soooo much worse.

Try taking maca too! It helps balance hormones, which in turn helps with cramps :)

Good luck, and I hope all this helps you.

Source(s): My mom (who has read many, many books on vitamins), wikipedia, and most importantly, experience. Pain medicine doesn't work for me, so I have to find things like these to help me instead.