How can I get my motivation back?

I love to write. Or I did. I used to write all the time, and it was a great way for me to let out my emotions. I still write occasionally, but I never finish anything, and sometimes when I write, it feels like a chore rather than a hobby.

Any suggestions on how to get my motivation to write back?

I've recently been diagnosed with depression, and I am going to see a therapist in a few days. But my depression has been going on for years, so I don't think that's why I lost my motivation.

Favorite Answer

There are a few things you can do... your new therapist will probably ask you to keep a journal. Thats one. Journaling every day will keep you writing something even if it isnt the next great american novel. (although, it could be!) another thing is keeping more than one writing project at a time. When I get bored writing my fantasy story, i move onto an unrelated science fiction story... that example only works if you're writing fiction though. (I guess) another thing I tried for a while (that helped for a while) is writing a story with none in mind. It's called free writing. all you do is write exactly what comes to mind. you usually find a theme after a little bit. At the end of the day, only you can answer the question 'what motivates me to write'. I think when you find out what it is that makes you want to write, you will have every reason to keep writing.

Source(s): being creative and getting past creative blocks...

Though you say depression isn't a factor, it is something that wears on you over time. Its something that eventually drains motivation. Have you found other things that you are also no longer motivated to do. These are things to ask yourself.

Depression also saps emotion over time. Maybe its time to discover other sources of emotional stimulus other than the negative emotions. Listen to some new music, go visit a new place, experience something different and fresh.