do gunshots sound like thunder?

I'm new to guns and I took my new .410 shotgun out and shot it in a field I own and it sounded like thunder and the thunder sound "rolled" across the field. Is that normal and do all guns sound like that.

Favorite Answer

A gunshot the noise produced is considerable. Quick and high but loud. The larger the caliber the deeper the sound of course but there would be an echo. When I go plinking out in the desert you can hear gunfire from other people.

Yes, many firearms, especially long guns, make an echoing boom similar to thunder when in an empty place. Shotguns and rifles typically do this, as do some high-caliber handguns. It is simply the extremely fast-burning gasses booming out of the muzzle, and as sound waves carry, they are either softened my soft things (suppressors, swamps, etc.) or bounce off, causing a rolling echo similar to what you've experienced.

• Irv S

No. Usually not. The gunshot sound is usually a lot 'sharper/shorter than thunder,

That 'rolling' you heard was likely an echo, particular to the location.

• Pazuzu

Depends on the gun, cartridge, barrel length, muzzle devices, whether you are indoors or outdoors, your position relative to the muzzle of the gun, etc.

Long guns are (generally) louder than handguns.

Muzzle devices can change the sound. Muzzle brakes make it louder and silencers/suppressors make it quiter.

Gunshots pretty much always seem louder indoors due to the massive echo.

It is louder to stand next to the muzzle of the gun than to be the one shooting the gun. I'm sure it's loudest to be at the business end of the muzzle, but I've never cared to test that theory.

Thats just an echo, ive never really heard one that sounded like thunder. Even when shooting down by the river under neath the large canal flume.

Thunder doesn't normally damage hearing. Gunshots do.

They can depending on how far away they are and the type of gun

its called echoing. shoot it in a forest surrounded by trees and you'll experience a different sound!

WOW....WOw...wow......just fall off a turnip truck or what ?

Source(s): "the loudest 410 in captivity....ty....ty...."

No