Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 7 years ago

Does becoming a mom make you more weak hearted?

I cry a lot easily than I did in my childless days.

Favorite Answer

It made me weaker in general (not like that's a bad thing).

When my firstborn was about 6 months old an old friend who I hadn't seen in a while stopped by for a visit. She kept commenting that I totally changed since becoming a mom. I asked her how she thinks I changed and she said I'm nicer, and she said she couldn't say what but everything about me seemed more calm. I know becoming a mom changed my life but I never noticed it changing my personality, but I guess it did.

BTW, I cry ALL the time now. Every little event is a tear jerker for me. For example, my daughter is graduating from pre k this month and my son is graduating kindergarten this month, too. I will be crying a lot.

• Not me. Are you crying when your kid gets a boo boo or just over trivial things? A lot of people get over emotional when their kids get hurt (normally when they are toddlers and take their first spills) but if you are crying about trivial things it might be something other than being weak hearted.

• Cassie

Personally, no. It hasn't changed me at all - either way.

I've never been much of an emotional person - it takes a lot for me to feel upset or to cry. It always has.

I wouldnt say weak hearted. You are definitely more sensitive to certain things, but i'd think if anything, being a mother makes you more protective, like a mama bear.

It makes you more empathetic to others, particularly those who have sick children.

If you are constantly crying for no particular reason, then depression is the likely culprit.