Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Question for Atheists?

I noticed Atheists like to use scripture against Christians in debates on God's existence and I was wondering if you ever noticed the Similarity it has to Sumerian Mythology. Enlil seems equal to Christian God and Enki equal to Christian Devil.

In Sumerian Mythology. Enlil and Enki are brothers. Enlil rules Heaven. Enki rules Earth. Eventually Enlil creates a garden on earth and creates mankind in it to be his mindless slaves to tend to the garden. Similar to Eden.

My question is have Atheists ever noticed this similarity.

I've thought about that too, but to me the Christian devil is a LOT closer to the Zoroastrian notion of duality -- Ahura Mazda (the Good god) vs. Angra Mainyu.

Just remember, Enki might be a bit of a trickster, but he's not evil. He's challenging, he's clever, he does messed up things...but he isn't evil. Heck, he's the patron of several cities.

But on reflection, maybe there are some similarities between Enki and the Jewish Satan -- the Satan of Job is more of a questioner/challenger than a force of evil. Then there's also the thing with the Serpent in the garden, which does bear similarities to Enki's trickery causing human sickness.

I don't know, it's an idea, maybe representing a vaguely similar mythic archetype.

• Vexed

I have no idea if they're similar or not, because I've never studied Sumerian mythology.

But I do know that a lot of stories in the Bible are similar to older stories from different cultures.

• There are a lot of similarities between the Bible and other world mythologies.

The story of Noah's Ark and the flood story in the Gilgamesh Epic is one.

The stories in the Bible have a strong resemblance to stories in many other cultures that the Hebrews came into contact with. That fact, incidentally, was the first crack in my certainty that Christianity was the ultimate truth.

- We have said for years that the bible was plagiarized from the Sumerian tablets.

Atheists who actually have their wits about them have indeed noticed, or are at least aware of, similarities between xianity and religions which came before it as it proves it stole ideas from them.

There's always got to be a hero and a villain in every superhero story.

...This isn't a question...