How to survive a relationship through college?

I've been with my boyfriend for almost thirteen months now, and we're both off to college soon. He's leaving for Chicago a few days after graduation, and I'm taking a semester off, then moving to El Paso with my family. We have a very relaxed, down to earth, healthy relationship, and I really want to keep that with us being apart. We communicate very well, and we barely ever argue.

We realize that the distance is going to make things very tense between us, although neither of us want to give up. We have talked about one of us transferring colleges if something goes wrong with our original plans, just because we don't want to be away from each other.

I don't want to hear about how it won't work because I know that is a possibility, but I would love some advice and ideas on how to keep a long distance relationship strong.

Thank you.

(I don't know how important this is, but both of us were recently diagnosed with depression. He started medication a few days ago, and I am probably starting medication in about a month, depending on how my therapy goes.)

• Ok...

Ok, you're LYING to us.

Because this: "relaxed, down to earth, healthy ..communicate very well, and we barely ever argue"

and this: "diagnosed with depression"

Cannot exist in the same place. You are either depressed, or you are healthy and happy. NOT BOTH. Good luck.