Can my employer reduce my hours worked as a payment for rent?

I work as maintenance in the apartment building that I live in. My manager reduces my "hours worked" on my pay check, which she uses as my rent payment. Is that legal? Is my employer doing this in order to pay less Social Security taxes for me? Can I refuse to do this?

Is there an institution that I can file a complaint with about this?

I am not choosing to do this. My employer does that for all employees...

If I understand your question correctly, your manager does not provide free rent as part of your employment compensation. She actually under reports the number of hours that you actually work; for example you work eight hours and she report that you worked only six hours and pays you for six hours. That process is illegal; she cannot misrepresent the number of hours that your actually work. Furthermore, if she is really providing free rent, she most report the amount of rent she provides as income and pay taxes on that. You need to report what she is doing to your State Department of Employment.

IN that case, your apartment is income and should be reported legally...changing hours to match the "pay" is wrong. You may lose you job, but call the IRS or the Labor board and ask!