Can a 15 year old safely take melatonin to sleep?

It says in the package not for people under the age of 16 but can a 15 year old take it? I mean i'm not going to die right? I just have a hard time getting to sleep and i would like to try it. Its a 3g tablet if that makes a difference

• I would suggest asking a doctor about this just in case.

For now you can:

-drink warm milk with honey right before bed

-Take a warm relaxing shower with lavender body wash (lavender is a natural scent that helps you relax and fall asleep)

-spray your room with organic lavender room spray (again for you to fall asleep faster- make sure you don't spray too much because too much is never good)

-you are going to hate me for this but studies show that if you don't go on technology an hour before bed the chances of you falling asleep faster are quite high, instead read a magazine or a book if you need too.

-I know you have heard this before but it is actually better to not eat before bed, then your stomach can stop working as hard before bed which will make you feel relaxed

-if you had a fight with someone just apologize over facebook (at least an hour before bed) that way the weight of the fight is on their shoulders and you can sleep

-if you have a different worry just right it on a piece of paper and throw it away, that way you are physically throwing away your worry not only emotionally. If this don't help maybe instead of throwing it away try to put it as far away as possible and tell yourself you will think about it tomorrow

-try getting homework and projects finished at least two hours before you go to bed that way you can relax on the sofa and just read.

Hope I helped and drugs should be your final and last resort because you are only fifteen

At your young age you would have to take the weakest Melatonin tablet there is and a 3 mg tablet is much too strong even for an adult. For you a 0.5 mg tablet might perhaps be OK but you need to check with a Pharmacist or Chemist just to make sure.

Sleeping pills can give you bad side effects such as headaches and drowsiness during the day so you are better off without them.

To sleep better just relax and switch off, if you can.

If you are having trouble switching off at bedtime some light exercise (for example, push ups or sit ups) at bedtime often helps you to relax, unwind and switch off and that often improves your sleep. Strenuous exercise at bedtime is likely to ruin your sleep.

Common OTC sleep aids include Chamomile tea, 5-HTP, Melatonin and Valerian Root.

Sleep enhancing foods include warm milk, turkey, cherries, oatmeal, bananas, wine and others as in http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22sleep+enhan...

You can see further tips in http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22how+to+fall... which tells you "how to fall asleep and stay asleep".

Yes. If you are having sleeping trouble you can absolutely take it! I have and it helped. Just make sure you don't take it every day because your body will stop producing the natural sleep hormones.

Source(s): Personal Experience