I don't sound like how I think I sound when I record myself. Help please.?

I love singing. I'm a 15 going on 16 male in High School. I really want to join choir during my junior year as like I said, I love singing. I honestly think I'm a good singer. I don't think it's a mental thing as I do believe I have progressed in singing. Progressed a lot. But whenever I record myself singing to listen to myself, (So far I used the voice memo app on my iPhone and the microphone of a Turtle Beach X21 Headset and the default sound recorder on my desktop, so I'm hoping it's a quality issue) I end up sounding like complete crap. But then when I start singing, whether it's by myself with no instrumentals or singing along to a song, I sound a lot better. This has been affecting my self-esteem and confidence a lot as now I have no idea whether or not I'm good enough to audition for choir next year. All in all, I want to know if it's an audio quality issue or if it's just a mental thing and I'm not the best at singing.

Favorite Answer

In a way it is a quality issue, but that's not to say your phone is low quality.

You're recording your voice using a MONO input. Mono = One channel. You are used to hearing yourself in STEREO - you know, two ears gives you stereo input. that's why the sound is so strange sounding.

Everyone goes through this. Even more, you will hate your recorded voice even if recorded with two microphones because of the room you are in. This is why recording studios use such special mics and foam the walls.

Anyone who says you are not a good singer (other posters) without having HEARD you actually sing, is just wrong. No one, but NO ONE can judge your singing without hearing you. And you yourself may not be the best judge because you may be very hard on your self.

The answer? Join choir. No one expects you to be perfect and as long as you think you sing good enough, why not join. In addition, Choir is a class where you can learn more and improve your voice and singing ability. Join. Enjoy and use the experience to grow and enjoy singing.

Source(s): Music Teacher - HS and Jr High

I'm sorry but it sounds like you're not the best at singing. I feel so mean saying that omg but I record myself using the voice memo app and I sound basically the same. The way you hear your voice is always different than the way you actually sound. So I'm sorry! But don't give up if you're passionate about it and it makes you happy :) Get lessons and practice more? Also taking up another instrument like the piano or guitar can help when learning how to sing. It'll help you stay on key :)

• Anna

I hate to break it to you, but I think it's more of a mental thing and you're not the best at singing. That shouldn't stop you from not auditioning for choir, though. My friend is tone-deaf and she thinks she's really good at singing when she sings with instrumentals or by herself, but when she's recorded, she says "I sound WAY worse on recording!!" I don't know how to tell her she's tone-deaf.. I just shared that story 'cause it sounds kinda similar to what you're going through. :( maybe get an honest person to tell you if you're bad?

ur just a lame singer

thats the answer ur looking for right ?