Raven asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

My dog passed away, not sure how to deal with it?

On Monday my dog died, she had cancer. I got her when I was in the 2nd grade, I am now about to be a sophomore in college. She lived a very long time, and I just can't seem to get over it. How did you deal with the lost of a dog (a family member in my case)? I basically grew up with her, and I just don't know what to do. Any advice?

• H
    Favorite Answer

It's only been a couple of days since your dog died. You are grieving right now. No one can tell you how long you will grieve because everyone grieves in their own time and way. Just know that you gave her a long and happy life. She is in Heaven right now running around in what has to be the greatest park in the universe. She's no longer in pain and having a blast. When it is your time to go, she will be there waiting in the light for you. You will see her again.....Right now I know that all your memories of her are causing you great pain but, one day, those same memories will bring much joy. You can only take this day by day. My dog turned 15 in January and I am terrified all of the time. I know it will be the greatest pain in my life when he finally goes. All you can do is to give it some time. You lost someone you love very much. It's suppose to hurt. But it will get easier.

Source(s): Long time dog owner

Our family dog (also got him in second grade) passed away when I was 19. It was really hard, but I also had my own dog at the time which made it a little easier. He passed away in February, and I lost it. We had to put him down (also cancer) and that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was awful to come home and not be greeted, not having to walk him, feed him, not getting kisses or hear him "talking" (he made this weird sound that we called talking). Ultimately, we decided to get a new dog (probably too soon, but I was so used to caring for him that I would never have gotten used to not having a dog, and I've always had a dog, my entire life). The new pup, was not trying to replace my baby, filled the void. I miss Guinness every day (the one we out down in Feb) and I think of max (the family dog) often, but it has been almost 5 years since max. So what I am trying to say is, it will be hard for a while, time heals all emotional wounds, just know that your pup loved a long, happy, love filled life and they're in a better place. Dogs don't understand why they are sick as humans do, so it isn't fair for them to live with cancer and be miserable without explanation. I hope you feel better, in the meantime, we found it comforting to have pictures of Guinness everywhere, even made keychains with his picture. He is still the background on my phone, and I do still cry, but he's better off and so is yours. Take care, sorry for such a long (and probably confusing) post.

Losing canine can also be like dropping a sister or brother, any individual thats been there with you via the whole lot. Jus like a family member they may be able to in no way be replaced or forgotten. Getting an additional canine i suppose might be good for, it may not measure as much as ur childhood dog but it might help the pain subside a little bit an shine some light jus realizing there may be one other animal available in the market so that it will love u jus the same. If u do get another canine u will see alot of qualities from ur different canine at all times an it wont make u harm extra itll make u realise that even supposing its no longer the equal canine. Shes nonetheless there with u daily reminding u of the great times.

I'm so sorry.

Go out with your friends, watch your favorite Tv show or childhood movie, read a good book, do anything you can to take your mind off of it. This poem might help, the author is unknown, but it's obviously written to deal with pet loss

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Again, so sorry for your loss. RIP your beautiful girl

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Just remember and cherish the memories that you shared together. They will never ever fade and will always keep you strong. When my son Tobie passed away, I found this poem below to help me get through it. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you always.

Rainbow Bridge

Author Unknown

Source(s): Pet Parent

So sorry, I'm 52. I still remember when.....Hub, Cocoa, Taffy, Doc, Mandy, Charlotte, Charlie, Sam, Samson, Jenny, Further, Buddy, and Mack died. Further was the worst. He was a Leonburger, and we had to have a backhoe come out and dig the hole. Tell you what.....every dog I've gotten since the first one, has been the best dog in the whole wide world. Now I have a new Charlie, (she creepily looks like the old Charlie, but he was a boy). So sorry, I do know how hard this is.

I lost my little Roo a few months ago my heart still breaks and I am still tring to find piece..I made so many videos of him playing with the other dogs that by watching them it is comforting..I know he is no long in pain and can breath well..It takes time each time by babys leave me it almost kills me I always say no more I cant do this again but one or two always find me and need love like they have never known.I hurts right now but it will get better but the memories and a quick tear will always be there...so sorry for ur loss my heart goes out to you....Keep ur pup in ur heart and it will heal...

• Anna

Aw, I'm sorry. That's the only downside to buying an animal - they eventually have to pass away. :( I'd suggest making a homemade video dedicated to her with sweet music and pictures showing how much she grew over the years. It might sound stupid, but I really like sentimental things like that.

• Calvin

He was my friend. While covering up his body with one of his food bags, I burst into tears and looked up to heaven and said to God."Thanks for letting me have 'Lucky' these few years'

Buried his body in my back yard. I think of him every time I pass that way.