Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Should I start going back to church ?

I used to go to church every Wednesday night and I would read my bible every single night (or at least I would try to because lets face it, the bible isn't the most interesting thing for a teen girl) but I stopped going around July 2012 and now my best friend (who also attends church regularly and reads her bible) just texted me and is telling me she wants me to go back to church but I just don't know . Back then I felt like I was pressured into worshipping god . I felt like if I didn't read a good amount in my bible god would punish me , same thing with if I didn't go to church every week . I don't really think I went for the right reasons anyway but that's sorta beside the point .. I just feel like a weight has been lifted off me since I stopped going to church and I still love and worship god but I just don't know what to do . Please help me .

Your relationship with God is between you and God. You don't need a brick and mortar building to be saved.

That said, if you enjoy the fellowship and friends, it can be a great place to make positive friends and help others.

If someone tries telling you if you miss church you are going to hell... they are lying. All that matters is your relationship with God.

Remember what it says in Colossians 2:16, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

I think sometimes we forget the freedom we have in Christ. I think sometimes there are some people who go to church for the wrong reasons.... power. These people sometimes judge us for missing a sunday or wednesday or whatever. Fact is, Christians aren't supposed to judge and colossians 2:16 seems to be telling us not to let these types of people get us down.

I am a big fan of the fellowship, friends, and the opprotuntiy to help others that church and bible classes can bring. If you like that aspect... go and have fun and don't let others get you down if you miss a Wednesday night here or there.

Hope this helps. God Bless.

If you feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders, then keep it up. You felt it for a reason and that pressure you felt will return if go back. If you insist on worshipping god, he's not going to punish you for not reading enough or not going to church.

I recommend looking into similarities between your religion and religions which came before it.

.

If you do decide to go to church, please find a church

THAT OBEYS GOD'S LAWS.

Remember this, "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." [Gen 2:3]

"Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings." [Leviticus 23:3]

. . .

Hi Hannah. I'm sorry you haven't had a very positive experience of church in the past. It seems this is an important issue to you, as you still love God, and are asking the question! I hope this answer is a bit helpful.

The Bible seems pretty clear that God's whole plan is actually about church. The end result will be "a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne" (Revelation 7v9). That's some church! God's people in the New Testament - the earliest Christians - are all seen as part of the church. They are dependant on each other, they serve God together, they look after each other and they learn about God together. The letters in the New Testament are mainly written to churches, not individuals. (And the ones written to individuals - 1&2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon - are mainly about church). Church just means a group of God's people.

Some things churches did, or should be doing:

- Learning, being together, meeting needs: "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer... All the believers had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need" Acts2v42-45

- Sending missionaries: "While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off." Acts 13v2-3

- Being prepared for God's work, and building each other up: God "gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ might be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" Ephesians 4v11-13

- Knowing God better together: " And I pray that you...may have power, together with all the saints (meaning Christians), to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge" Ephesians 3v17-18

I hope this makes you a bit excited about the idea of church. Not a place where you are made to feel guilty about stuff, but a collection of people who are loved by God, and are given to each other by God in order to know him and serve him better. On the other hand, this doesn't mean it will all be fun and games - a church that teaches you properly will challenge you about disobedience and wrong beliefs.

One final thing - the church is described as Christ's body, and every part is needed. That doesn't mean one part can be away doing its own thing without being missed. Read 1 Corinthians 12, but a couple of key verses: v26 "You are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it". v21 "The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"" I'm afraid church isn't complete without you.

I just have to add one more anecdote about my own church. A couple in my homegroup moved house at the weekend. The wife is 32 weeks pregnant with twins. I was free on Saturday and offered to help. I wasn't the only one... 3 guys with cars were carting stuff from one house to another, girls in the homegroup had provided meals for the whole weekend, someone was installing the washing machine, a group of us unpacked kitchen stuff and books, boxes and suitcases had been provided by a number of people, in fact even the house itself had been offered to the couple for rent at fairly short notice by another Christian, and had had a lot of last minute work done by his handyman - also a member of our church. I love my church.

No church is perfect, not even mine! But I hope you are able to go back to church, and that you aren't greeted by a guilt trip, but by a group of God's people who want to grow closer to God and serve him together with you.

• Peace

If you like making friends at church, and feel happy and closer to God, go back, but, if you feel pressure, dont.

No point in going to church if you don't want to. Only go if you're gonna listen.

It's a free country. You have the right to be a stupid as you want.

as long as you believe in god and follow the commandments, you should be fine, it isnt a commandment that you have to go to church, as long as you acknowledge him and believe he is real you are fine

• Pamela

You need them and they need you.

We are part of God's family and we need each other.

What's there to help you with? If you don't want to go, then don't go.