? asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 7 years ago

Tips for my dance improv (includes video of me)?

I just turned 15 (freshman) and I have been dancing since age 9. I started competition dance 4 years ago. I have never been extremely confident in my dancing, and especially not my improv because imporov is new to me since I just switched studios this year and my old studio never did improv. The floor was hard to turn on and there wasn't much room, but can you tell me if I look awkward or if you have any tips/advice/opinions? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WJvUHiEnw

Youtube thumbnail

Favorite Answer

So I watched your dance, and I think it was pretty good, there are a few things that I did catch though:

-you did a lot of small movements, try to make them bigger. Ex: instead of just rolling your head, totally get your shoulders in and make it dramatic

-you did a lot of body rolls, dance doesn't have to be just one movement, I understand if you like doing them and do them a lot in one dance. (One time I choreographed a dance and I had turn, after turn, after turn).

- Speaking of turns! I think that you should do more turns, but that's just me and I like to turn!

-Try to hit bigger movements on louder notes, it gives more emphasis.

-Do something with your arms! I felt like you didn't use enough arms

-Last, I know you had a small space, but you should try to incorporate some jumps. It doesn't have to be big, it could be like a C jump or something. Just because you have limited space doesn't mean you can do big things.

I hope this helps you and good luck with competition. Keep up the good work!

Wager what? Sam Worthington (who played Jake Sully in Avatar) was a brick layer before her grew to become an actor. My point is that nobody can give you and form of "practical estimate" to your future in the show business. For all you know, you could take one seem at your existence in 2 years and say "holy crap, i'm so burnt out". It is all as much as threat and connections friend

Your technique is really good :)

Try to move around more, make sure to really use the space even if it is small