Am i allowed to ride boats under bridges on a canal?

Im wondering if i can ride my boat or jet-ski under a bridge on a Canal on a lake. I want to get a house on a Canal but if i cant drive under the bridges ima have second thoughts about the house. please answer fast and thank you for your time.

Favorite Answer

I do it every day several times a day - so do several thousand other boaters. . .

If your boat or jet ski fits under the bridge, sure you can. Unless it is marked otherwise.

I do the Great Loop every year, and if your from Michigan, you must be familiar with that. . . This is also my 14th year of doing it, and I've taken just about every detour and side trip possible.

There is certainly is no law or rule that says you can not go under a bridge, unless that is marked or posted as restricted and I have never seen one on any public waterway that was.

However, you can look that bridge up and get information on it if need be.

Here's the link, you can look up the bridge and get information on it:

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Home.aspx

However, if it is not on a navigational waterway or canal, there may be days or times you can't go under it because of flood, shoaling, or debris. . . You can look that particular bridge up on the USACE website - they list every bridge on ever navigational waterway in the USA. . .

• Sailor

It will all depend on local laws and bye laws. These will be posted in the vicinity if navigation is restricted in any way what so ever. In the UK one of the main restrictions is on speed to prevent bank erosion.

The other problem with canals is that they may well be polluted and care should be exercised when on a canal. I remember in the early 1960's if you fell into the Manchester Ship Canal you had to go to hospital to haveyour stomach pumped out.

Sadly, no. According to S.1957-36, Any persons operating a water vehicle under a canal located near a lake or body of water too small to accomodate such a vehicle will be subject to prosecution for the appropriate violation committed.

Source(s): Harvard Law