What are some light solutions for my bathroom?

My light switch and ceiling light do not work. It needs to be completely rewired by an electrician, and I wont pay for that right now.

I currently have a table lamp sitting on top of my medicine cabinet/mirror, with the cord just hanging down and plugged in next to the vanity.

I only have the one outlet next to the vanity.

The medicine cabinet/mirror is coming down because i hate it and its dated. I also hate the lamp and would like to try to suspend some kind of plug in or battery powered light from ceiling.

I also considered many many candles... but it'd be too dark for putting on makeup.

Any ideas or links? Want something chic or simple.

Currently, the only thing I can think of is a coleman clamp lamp.

Update:

I've decided to go with this: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/produ... and a pendant shade... maybe this: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/produ... in the clear color. And just suspend from hook on ceiling. Going to cover old light hole with a white medallion from Lowe's.

And I'm not worried about getting electrocuted because there is no electricity running up there. Its been looked at, its not hooked up to the power... I'm not sure how to say that in electrician jargon, but hope you get it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this guys/girls!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hire an electrician before you kill yourself or some you care for!

Lamps ar anything plugged into an receptacle that is not protected by a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit interrupter) is extremely in a bathroom.

How much is your life or the life of someone you care for worth?

Hire an Electrician and have the job done correctly.

Read the following:

==============================================

Selecting contractors:

1/ Look up local contractors first. work out from the closest to your location. If someone you trust has had work done

similar to yours, ask them about the contractor they used. If they were completely satisfied with their

contractor(s), ask for their telephone number.

2/ Select at least 5 your are interested

3/ Do a google/yahoo search on each of the contractors you are interested in; look for praises (check who is writing the praises to see if they have any connection to

the contractor <scam artists and coffident persons often work in groups> google/yahoo search the people giving the praise or references)

4/ When you are satisfied with at least 3 contractors per job, have them give you written estimates with details of work

to be done, terms, guarantee(s), cost of extras (how much do they charge if they find something not covered by the contract), paymant schedules if necessary and

whatever else you can think of to protect yourself.

5/ If the contractor tries to pressure you into signing the contract immediately with a high deposit (more than 15% - deposits over 10% normally are not paid untill material is delivered and left at your site) reject that contractor. Be careful, high pressure can be someone who sounds very convincing, but has

many reasons why you should sign on the dotted line NOW.

6/ It is always good to have another adult with you when a contractor inspects the work to be done.

7/ If you do not get at least 3 written estimates signed by the contractor - not you (do not sign yet) , go back to 1. repeat until you get written estimates signed by the contractor - not you (do not sign yet).

Read the estimates over with some who has some knowledge of the work that has to be done.

This may take longer than you thought; do not rush into it. Research, resaerch research, helps.

When you are ready choose by being informed.

Good Luck

Source(s): 40 plus years certified electrician.
  • 4 years ago

In australia we are sure by the the australian standards wiring regulations. bogs encompass prohibited aspects as properly as unrestricted aspects. in case you may no longer positioned the swap a procedures adequate remote from the source of the water then the swap might desire to be located exterior the door. Pull cord switches are utilized in sheds. We even have obtainable here electric kit with IP scores which permit them to be utilized in moist aspects. Even out doorways. possibly you ought to objective using a swap of IP fifty six score in case you will come across one in all those component.

• 7 years ago

Sure, I would go with a plug in style chandelier. I would buy a matching Hook that you could screw into the ceiling joist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.