Car dies while driving and starts right back up?

It's a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Haven't had any problems. Bought a new car and didn't drive it for a few weeks. I started it up and moved it from my driveway about a week ago. Today, I go out to start it up because someone wanted to buy it and it wouldn't start. Bought a new battery and started right up. After driving it about 2 minutes, it dies making a turn. Over the next 5 minutes trying to get back home, it died 3 more times. It seems like it only dies on deceleration or idle. What is wrong?

• Favorite Answer

You cold just hav bad gas in the fuel line from no drivin it for so long. Also try replacing h fuel flter sometime. I kno that creates blockage when it get very dirty.

The first thing I would do is use a scan tool to find any codes that might have been stored. It will help you narrow down your problem.

-Use a battery tester to see if the battery performs well under load.

-Do a compression test to see if your engine is mechanically sealed and is not leaking any air.

-Clean the mass air flow sensor and clean the throttle body plate.

I would need to do more tests to narrow down the problem. It could be many things.I hope you solve your problem.

You find automotive parts in the link below.

Need way more info to diagnose a concern like this. I would just recommend taking it to a mechanic.

#####EDIT#####

Don't listen to the guy below me. There is nothing from what you said that you would be able to say it is the alternator. Every battery has what is called a reserve capacity. Which is how long the battery would last under certain load conditions without having something like the alternator to sustain it. It would take at least 10-20times longer than what you are saying to cause the vehicle to stall.

two obvious suspects are dirty throttle body/butterfly valve and a failing crank sensor, modern cars switch off the fuel pump when you lift off and restart as the speed changes, with a dirty throttle valve the valve never fully closes so the engine has too much air and dies

My car did the same thing. I bought some higher octaine gas and a new fuel filter and it seems to have cleared up

Source(s): experiance first hand

it a alternator problem your battery is getting drained but not getting any charge. but the reason it will start once again is because the battery will gain power is when under the load of the starting you will get enough power to try once or twice more.

Source(s): int mod +5