Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

how many neon tetra's can i keep in a 7 gallon?

i want to get tetra's but dont know how much i should have

9 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

None. Yes they may have a tiny bioload but, they're shoaling fish and most shoaling fish usually need to be in a group of 8-10. Also most tetra should be in a 20 gallon aquarium. And the only fish you probably could keep in one of those is a betta and a few shrimp.

• Rae
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

A random goldfish is right. Tetras need 20+ gallons at the very very least 15. Your tanks big enough for a betta and a snail or a betta and a couple shrimp. U could also do a shrimp only tank. They meed groups of 6 or more and they are very active which is why a 7 gallon is far too small. The one inch per gallon rule is a myth because no matter what the size all fish have different requirements. U wouldn't stick a 12" ghost knife in a 12 gallon tank they need 100+ gallons. I assume u will put the tetras in anyways because u are going to do what u want but they will most likely die so heads up. They are very sensitive to water changes and stress.

• 7 years ago

None.

Neon tetras are VERY sensitive and there is a "neon tetra disease" which can occur.

They need 15 gallons minimum.

You can have a betta and snail/shrimp.

If you get a 20+ gallon which are a LOT easier to maintain you can get a school and other schools of tetras.

-

1" fish per gallon rule is not reliable for any fish.* (Tropical Fish I think had an article on it.)

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Tetras need 20 gallons a Betta fish and snail stocks a 7 gallon.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Tetras need at least 20 gallons. you can keep 7-9 neons in that size tank.

The only fish that can live in that tank is a single betta.

• 7 years ago

0000000000000. None. Nota. You need 6+ tetras in a 20 gallon tank. But you could keep a betta and a snail, or maybe, MAYBE just 2 guppies in there.

• 7 years ago

One inch of fish per gallon. So a neon tetra grows to one inch so that would be 7.

• 7 years ago

Don't Listen to the people that say it won't work, or it's too small, 6 should be the max but don't add all at once or you will have an ammonia spike. The terra won't commit Suicide because it doesn't have enough freinds. The school/shoal to make them selves seem bigger against preditors, if they are the only one in the tank the wont school and be more relaxed..

Source(s): Follow me on twitter @tropicalfiish
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

5 i would say

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.