Will using multiple usb hubs on one usb port cause it to go bad?

For my setup I need multiple usb port so I had a 4 port usb hub hooked up to the laptop, than another hub connected to the first one and another hub connected to the second one. I basically daisy-chained one usb port with 3 hubs. Will this cause the usb port to go bad?

Daisy Chain Usb Hubs

The only thing I would worry about is power. If all of your hubs have a dedicated power supply it should be fine, but be warned it is possible to overload your USB port if those hubs you are going to connect are non-powered hub. A single USB port puts out ~5V in power so if you do not have hubs with power supplies I suggest you stick to smaller devices to be plugged into those "chained" up hubs.

The speed of the USB port will also be "shared", if you will, with all of the devices plugged into those hubs for example:

You have 1 flash drive plugged into one USB port. It's throughput speed should be about ~480Mbits. Now you plug in 3 more flash drives and say you are copying files from all of them at once. The ~480Mbit speed is then divided out amongst those flash drives. Long story short? You lose speed with multiple devices depending on how much speed the device needs.

To answer you question simply: Yes you can plug hubs into hubs. Just make sure that each hub is getting the required amount of power or else your device might not function properly.

Source(s): snow.edu 10+ years Tech Service

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): multiple usb hubs usb port bad: https://biturl.im/LS7p6
  • Me2

That depends on whether you're using powered USB hubs. Daisy-chaining non-powered hubs is not supported by the standard. In your case, it could cause excessive current draw that could damage your single port, or cause the computer to shut down (which I've seen happen). Or, less seriously, the controllers in the downstream hubs (or the devices plugged into them) could malfunction due to sagging voltage, causing data corruption.

With powered hubs, the only kind I use, that's not an issue.

Of course, the data to and from each device must pass through that single port, which has limited bandwidth shared by each device. There is then a performance penalty if more than one high-bandwidth device is used simultaneously. But if you're using just a mouse, keyboard, game controller, or other low-bandwidth devices, that should never be an issue.

Usb Daisy Chain

• Susan

Is this one of those USB hubs that is plugged into and powered by your systems on board USB port? If so, it sounds like you'll need a USB hub that is powered by an AC adapter.

Probably not, but what you are doing is port sharing by daisy-chaining all those hubs, so overall throughput will suffer.

I would connect one hub directly to the computer, connect the other two hubs to that hub, and then plug your devices in in the order they need access to the USB bus. A keyboard or mouse could be plugged into one of the tertiary hubs, whereas a portable hard disk or audio controller should be plugged into the secondary hub. (In this case the primary hub is the USB root hub that controls the USB port on the laptop.)

And please explain how is it that your laptop only has one USB port?

No it wont cause it to go bad, it will cause it to use more power, and everything being conected to one USB on the computer will cause it to run slower, however.