Does the frequency of my RAM affect gaming performance?

I've done research on it without any clear answer, and most answers are from 5 years ago. I am currently looking into getting a new gaming desktop, but I first wanted to see if I could upgrade my current system. Looking at my memory, it says I have 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 @399MHz. Looking at some of the new PCs out there, I am seeing frequencies above 1600MHZ and was wondering if that matters at all, mainly for gaming?

My system is about 3 years old, and not very reliable anymore to play newer games at the quality I would like. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium E5400 @ 2.70GHz (Dual Core)

RAM: 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. CM5571 (LGA775)

Graphics: 1024MB AMD Radeon HD 6450 (MSI)

Hard Drive: 932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• jason
    Favorite Answer

as the other 2 answers before stated, it will not be a great difference, but i do think it'd be noticeable. i looked real quick and i think your ram is limited at 400mhz by your fsb or something.

• VenuG

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. So all components matter. But the processor is the single most important component of a computer. RAM and Graphics card comes next only. You should opt for an Intel i5 processor. RAM speed affects the performance but not that significantly compared to the processor speed.

choose for the better complete memory. To be thoroughly hassle-free, there's an outstanding velocity distinction between 667 and 1066, yet (and that i'm basically being candid here) in case you do no longer quite basically understand the version in velocity, then you definately won't surely word it.

• Hamish

When you have a 6450....nope....your computer is too poor for the memory clock to matter.