Not being racist, but how did the stereotype of African Americans being afraid of water start?

• Glenn
    Favorite Answer

I guess you can trace a lot of these stereotypes back to slavery.

It can stem from a variety of things. Most black people weren't taught to swim back then, of course not as all were enslaved and working in the fields. If they happened to escape and came across a large body of water in which they had to swim, they drowned.

Also, when hair relaxers were introduced most black women didn't swim because water ruins the relaxer.

I don't know exactly where it started but those two explanations could work.

They are not afraid of water.

Stop generalizing.

The only ones who have a fear of water are those who don't know how to swim.

I am Nigerian, my parents know how to swim but me and my siblings don't. I'll be taking swimming classes though.

EDIT: Eshar, I got you.

I heard it was when traders purchased Blacks to use as slaves from other Blacks .... entering the water meant they will not return ...

kiyanni- i think he meant HOW DID IT START... lol he's not trying to offend anyone.

the olympics where supposedly they say blacks can't swim

Blacks have denser bones which make them worse at swimming.