Do I need a permit to build a deck in Ohio?

I want to put on a deck in my fenced-in back yard, approximately 16x12 feet and will only be about 1-2 feet high. I do plan on attaching it to my house. Am I supposed to get a permit for this? If I don't, what can happen? What are the consequences if someone finds out now, or down the road. I tried looking for it but Toledo, Ohio's website wasn't too helpful, at least not to me.

And please, if you have a comment, let me know the source, especially a link if you have one somewhere. I know different states/cities can have different rules about this stuff. And I did call the building permit office and they said I need blueprints and to get a permit, etc. Anyone know the consequences if I don't do this. I really wouldn't mind, it is just a hassle and I really don't have the time to do it right now (only open on weekdays and I can't get off work to take it in) and I really want to put the deck up over the upcoming weekends. Can I do the deck and then get a permit? Or are they going to come check out the place before they grant a permit?

Please help. Anything is appreciated. Thank you

If they say you need a permit and you neglect to get one, they will come out to your house, rip the deck out, and hand you a fine. I suggest you take the time off, go and get the proper permits or you will not be a very happy homeowner in the long run.

When people bring in their blueprints for a permit, the people at the permit office normally take their word on what is going to be done so they don't usually pay you a visit until it is all finished then they do come out to see.

yea because there are a lot of posers out there who pretend to know how to do something, then screw it up, so the town wants it done right.