Do I need a permit to build a deck in Ohio?

I want to put on a deck in my fenced-in back yard, approximately 16x12 feet and will only be about 1-2 feet high. I do plan on attaching it to my house. Am I supposed to get a permit for this? If I don't, what can happen? What are the consequences if someone finds out now, or down the road. I tried looking for it but Toledo, Ohio's website wasn't too helpful, at least not to me.

And please, if you have a comment, let me know the source, especially a link if you have one somewhere. I know different states/cities can have different rules about this stuff. And I did call the building permit office and they said I need blueprints and to get a permit, etc. Anyone know the consequences if I don't do this. I really wouldn't mind, it is just a hassle and I really don't have the time to do it right now (only open on weekdays and I can't get off work to take it in) and I really want to put the deck up over the upcoming weekends. Can I do the deck and then get a permit? Or are they going to come check out the place before they grant a permit?

Please help. Anything is appreciated. Thank you

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

If they say you need a permit and you neglect to get one, they will come out to your house, rip the deck out, and hand you a fine. I suggest you take the time off, go and get the proper permits or you will not be a very happy homeowner in the long run.

When people bring in their blueprints for a permit, the people at the permit office normally take their word on what is going to be done so they don't usually pay you a visit until it is all finished then they do come out to see.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

yea because there are a lot of posers out there who pretend to know how to do something, then screw it up, so the town wants it done right.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.