How is windows 8 different from windows 7?

I am getting a laptop and I don't understand what the difference is because I've never used either one. I've just heard windows 8 kind of sucks. If you could make it simple to understand that would be very helpful.

Favorite Answer

If you've used previous versions of Windows then you'll find it similar except for one aspect. The start menu has been replaced by a full screen app launcher called the start screen.

The start screen presents your programs in a grid of large icons called tiles. The tiles can be clicked and dragged around into groups and organized however you like. If there are more tiles than can fit on a single screen then you can scroll to the left to revel more. It's kinda different since most things are designed to scroll up and down instead of side to side.

The start screen runs its own programs called apps. These are full screen programs that are usually simple in nature. They're downloaded via the Windows Store.

Windows 8 has it's own built in search engine. While on the start screen you just start typing what you want and Windows will fetch it for you. So if you need a program that isn't on your start screen, or want to change a setting, all you have to do is type the name of the program or setting and Windows will bring it to you. Same with files in your user folders. Type the name of the file you want and Windows will get it for you. It's very convenient.

Just to cover some points from other users. There is a list of all programs. While on the start screen right click then click the all apps button. It's very helpful when I can't remember the name of a program I need but don't use frequently.

It works fine with a keyboard and mouse. I use the keyboard more than I do the mouse while I'm on the start screen because I generally use it for search.

Here's a video that describes the start screen in better detail.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheMissingWindows8In...

- Dominic

Obviously the most obvious difference between Windows 8 and its popular predecessor is the user interface. Windows 7 supported touch, but it wasn't ideal - the controls simply weren't good enough. However, things have improved immeasurably in terms of the touch support in Windows 8. First of all, touch support on the Desktop is far, far better and you can even close windows and select menu items without issue - Windows has built-in intelligence to tell it what you are trying to do. Secondly, the new Start Screen is an interface that's built for touch. That means tiles instead of menus and much quicker ways to get to the programs you want. There's also greatly improved on-screen keyboard and handwriting recognition. You don't need to have a Windows 8 touch PC - the interface still works on non touch machines, and many trackpads have support for new Windows 8 gestures. There are also peripherals such as touch mice and trackpads from Microsoft and Logitech (among others) that support Windows 8 gestures.

Windows 8 does NOT suck. I actually own and use Windows 8 every day, my entire school is in the process of switching. There is an app list just right click the START screen and click all apps. It is like a full screen start menu. You can still run Windows 7 apps/programs and you get live tile updates for twitter and others. Windows still has the old desktop and is overall faster than windows 7. There are new features like built in Anti Virus, new taskmanager, and a simplified UI. Better file management is available too. I know what others are saying just try it as some posts above say they HEARD it was bad. It has some learning curve that is it.

The platform for Windows 8 was designed for use on portable items that use a "touch" screen rather than a mouse. Windows 8 is quite a bit different than 7 due to having no start button and all your files pop up on the screen at once. Gamers really dislike Windows 8. The sales world wide of computers have been down about 15% just because of the dislike for Windows 8. Many people are trying to find installation disks for Windows 7 so they can format the Windows 8 hard drive and install Windows 7 which looks and feels more familiar than 8. Many people would tell you that if you have a choice of the Windows operating system that will be installed, go with Windows 7. I had my choice and I choose 7 on the recommendation of several friends who "had" 8 and returned to 7.

Source(s): Just my opinion.

Windows 8 ISN'T bad at all. Windows 8 does EVERYTHING that windows 7 does and more, you just need to learn how to use the new start, it takes less than 2 minutes to understand it. When windows 8 was still in beta mode I used it in a virtual machine and I thought is a disaster and I hesitated to install it until my windows 7 broke. So I installed it and after 2-3 days I got in love with it. Don't strongly believe anyone. TRY first. (FYI I'm a fan of OS X not Windows)

Source(s): experience

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): windows 8 windows 7: https://shortly.im/hitzj

Windows 8 has a Start screen, faster performance, and built-in security. Windows Media Player and Media Center have been removed, but you can get Media Center back with the Media Center add-on pack. Also Windows 8 is less familiar to most Windows users, but if you have some time to invest, you can learn Windows 8 and become more familiar with it. It's up to you. If you value performance, security, and can invest in some time to learn Windows 8, then 8 may be for you. If familiarity matters to you, then choose Windows 7.

Source(s): I've tried both Windows 8 and Windows 7.

Windows 8 is awful. Have you ever used any computer... XP, Vista, for example? If this is your first ever computer, you won't really recognize or appreciate the limitations and problems with Windows 8. I could list the problems, but if you have no experience with other operating systems, you won't be able to appreciate them.

I've used computers for 30 years and every Windows operating system. Here is a short list of the problems with Windows 8.

No start menu.

No list of applications.

Everything is touch-screen oriented, so movements don't work well with a mouse or touchpad.

No way to keep track of multiple programs when in the Windows 8 screen.

You have to go through the Windows 8 start screen to get to the Desktop.

Microsoft is sending out updates for Windows 8 so fast that every few days when you shut your computer down, it spends 15 minutes downloading and installing updates. To me, this is infuriating.

There are work-arounds for most of these problems, but we shouldn't be forced to be guinea pigs to beta test Microsoft's Windows 8. They should have done that and fixed all these complaints before they launched Windows 8.

If you have a choice, I'd suggest you go with Windows 7 and skip Windows 8 entirely. They'll come out with Windows 9 (or whatever they call it) within the next year and a half because Windows 8 is going to be a marketing disaster.

Source(s): Disgruntled former Windows 8 user... now using Linux Mint 14 and loving it!
  • Ranger

Windows 8 is designed to be App based, like an Ipod or Ipad. To get full use of Windows 8, you need a Touch Screen Lap Top or Touch Desk Monitor. If you purchase a Personal Computer without the Touch Screen Feature, W8 will not work like it should and you will be unhappy.

Being app based means a lot of things you got with Windows 7 are not included in windows 8. You must down load the app for the process, and like your Ipod or Ipad, some are expensive.

Keep in mind, this is Microsoft's first adventure into the App field. They still have lots of bugs to work out of the program. This morning news paper said Microsoft is going to rework Windows 8 and release it again due to the number of unhappy users.

I recommend you wait until the revised version of W8 is released, or purchase a Mac or Apple. Apps were invented by Apple and they have worked all the bugs out of their programming.

Source(s): rc

Windows 7 is basically an updated, much faster version of all other windows operating systems (ie XP and vista) hopefully you've used one of those.. Anyway windows 8 is completely different. In some ways its like trying to learn how to use the computer all over again.