I need to raise the floor in my basement some how some way.?

ok, so my parents one day decided to make me pay rent because I'm out of high school now. so i told them i would pay rent if i could live in the basement because its cooler in the summer, it has a lot more room and its secluded from everyone and that's what i like haha, well my basement isn't finished and sometimes gets flooded if the rain is bad.. so i was talking to my parents and they told me that i could "raise the floor" but i really don't know what there talking about or how to do so, so if you could give me ideas on how to do so i would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!!

Favorite Answer

The water still remains, how has it been dealt with in the past? I wouldn't build anything over a stagnant pool of water.

• virgen

I'm uncertain what the intention is here. If it is to water-resistant the surface my option can be drainage layer products akin to plakton, and dryfloor. They furnish a resin/plastic drainage layer and provide the capacity to put untreated plywood a inch above the concrete with out a worry about water damage no matter how wet the basement is. That is the right means so as to add a finished flooring to a talents moist field. In case your flooring is perfectly dry, you could apply the plywood immediately to the floor. It is going to be a mildew disaster if the basement gets moist. You are going to have the same concern should you put untreated studs on the cement ground. Roson paper is not a vapor barrier. It is used to furnish breathability for timber. In different phrases is utilized by people who use air leakage as a guard, but don't want wind blowing through a crack. It's a traditional process that in most cases results in a apartment falling aside faster. If you wish to have a vapor barrier you need to use either roofing felt or plastic. Rosin paper should reserved for a temporary duvet to restrict damage for the duration of building. Or the place vapor obstacles are not desired. Again I have no idea exactly what your trouble is so I cannot give you an answer acceptable to your situation.

My sister and me used to help our Dad in re-modeling the house, and in a couple of rooms we raised the floors. He used 2x6's for the supports and he would double them by nailing two of them together. He then added supports in-between those like you would see in a wall. Those were quite close together . Then he topped it with double sheets of 3/4" plywood. I think it was CDX . After that the floor was either tiled or carpeted.

Now that has been a long time ago, even before there were such things as drywall screws! I thought what and how he did it might give you an idea of where to start on your project.

Oh, in the doorway areas, he left it so you could walk into he room, then step up. That way the door frame wouldn't have to be raised. Maybe today they have better ways of doing that, but the raised floor Dad built back then is still strong and sturdy. I live in the house now.

Not only will you need to raise the floor, you'll need to install a sump pump underneath it, or risk losing the floor and possibly other possessions. You would need to make that spot accessible via a trap door.

You'll also need to put down a moisture barrier, to try to keep the humidity level down underneath the floor. Otherwise the room will smell musty and mold may grow on the underside of the flooring.

Rather than put in a wooden floor, I'd suggest pouring concrete over a thick moisture barrier on top of gravel, and I'd ensure the sump pump had it's own spot where any water that infiltrates under the concrete could flow through the gravel into the sump.

That is a very expensive job to do it correctly. You might want to look that one over before you get in way over your head if you know what I mean.