Lani asked in PetsHorses · 7 years ago

How do you stay on a horse without falling off?

I'm 16, and I signed up for horse camp this summer, and assumed they'd be teaching you to ride a horse. Well apparently not, and apparently you should already know how to gallop. I can trot, that's just about it. As you can see, this is a problem. How exactly should you position yourself so that you don't fall off when trying to canter or gallop? I've been told to not tense up, and to be honest, my fear isn't of falling off- it's of embarrassing myself. Any tips on how to sit, etc? :S

they do expect it actually, for some reason... And I failed to see it before. You know, excitement of signing up quickly and all.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/3379/screenshot20130...

Thanks for all the answers so far you guys!!

Favorite Answer

I highly doubt any horse camp would expect that every one that signs up can canter or gallop a horse. Take lessons if you can. If in doubt, don't go faster than you feel comfortable.

okay i'm gonna try to explain it the way it as explained to me.

your body is comprised of 3 blocks, your head, your thorax/ches and your pelvis.

when you ride the top two blocks stay still ie: your head and chest. your pelvis moves with the saddle. when cantering it would be called sitting the canter. you butt essentially should never leave the saddle unless trotting or galloping. when you sit the canter it should feel like you are rolling or gliding with the saddle. the canter is a 3 beat gait so to help keep the rhythm count in your head 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with the horses stride.

i can't help you too much with the galloping but i will provide the Intel that i know.

the gallop is 4 beat gait with suspension

from what i've seen at shows when performing a hand gallop the rider stands in the saddle. so a great amount of balance is required.

to practice for this start at a walk and just stand in the saddle for a few seconds and then sit and repeat. then move up into the trot, stand then sit and repeat. then move up to the canter and by the time you get to the gallop you should be ready. and remember this will not happen in one day getting balance is really tough

the first video is a really good visualization and has lots of commentary about how to sit the canter.

the second video is just so you can see how a hand gallop is performed

good luck at camp

Ok first of all your muscles need to get used to diferent speeds like a trot and gallop. So would sudest to tell you camp leader that you need more practice and advice from and experienced horseman preferably an adult who has been in the horse world for a long time. And try not to tense up when you are riding because believe it or not the horse can sense that tension and tense up as well which isnt what you want, you want the horse to trust you and know that you arent going to put him in danger. Aslo if you want your horse to trust you, spend more time with him, groom him, talk to him, make sure you can pick up his feet easily and touch him everywhere; all these things helps with trust believe me ( I know what I am talkin about LOL ) also dont be embarassed when you fall off, everyone falls of once and a while so just laugh and shake it off and get back on so the horse dosnt think are just going to give up. I hope i help you will learn all these things in time so dont worry i went through it as well :) Good Luck :) And have fun :)

Source(s): I am highly experienced in horseman ship and riding :) So my own experiences :)

Try and sit up and tall. Keep you heels down and weight in your stirrups. Also, ask the people at the camp if you can practice your canter on the longeline or take a few lessons before hand. And you shouldn't be embarrassed if you fall off. Everybody falls off sometimes. I've fallen off many times haha :)

like you said DO NOT tense up this will cause the horse to freak out but dont worry loping and galloping is the easiest most fun way to ride on a horse. it is very smooth andi feels like you are flying. dont lean forward and just move with the movment of the horse. as for galloping if you want to go faster then you can lean forward. they should teach you at the camp and trust me you wont b the only one who has never loped or galloped i help at one before and most havent. anddd no one will judge you for falling off if they do they arent worth you feelings or thoughts. everyone who has ridin a horse has fallin off. so just relax and have fun. if you think walking and trotting on a horse is fun then think again once you gallop and lope you arent gonna want to walk or trot again lol!

Source(s): helped at a horse camp, barrel racer, am 16, have fallin off many many times haha
  • virgen

Hi Sat! Ive given a variety of pondering on this,and you seem intuitive sufficient to check out a bit of of an extra strategy.You'r well spoken and wise,and can carry these qualities out for your horse rather of timidity.I love wise horses, they just take a little more pondering to be productive with thier power. Dominate now not with the whip however along with your mind! One of the crucial best cowboys and riders I knew had a mare flip over on him,and he spent three months barely using. He sat on his porch and "concept" his approach although each moment he can be driving. It was once mind riding and it worked! When he was once equipped to compete once more, he was tops in the money, and rather more in contact with his horse. For you? See what you want to occur,consider it, are aware of it. A hundred instances a night while you put together for sleep,dream experience and lunge your high-quality calm non bucking horse.Know he is clever and inventive,and put his mind in a blissful state by mixing things up and maintaining him sharp. Boredom breeds creativeness, and i think you already know he knows your ideas:)That! Is your area. You're an proficient rider! Visualize your horse being exceptional too.

Let me get this straight. You're 16 years old and a beginner rider, and you've signed up for a camp where they expect you to already know how to stay on at a gallop when you've never even cantered before. Well, I have a newsflash for you: This "camp" is asking for a LAWSUIT. More importantly, YOU have no business being at a place where they aren't going to teach the basics and focus on your SAFETY. It's all well and good to want to ride fast, but you need to realize a few things, sweetie. Firstly, no saddle horse is ever fit enough to run, except under a few very specialized circumstances. Most camp horses aren't well trained, either, and many of them have behavioral issues that result from being ridden by too many inexperienced people. You need to leave racing to the RACETRACK and to the professionals who know what they are doing, and so does the management of this so called "camp". Lastly, you have far bigger problems to worry about than just being embarrassed- a fall from a horse that's galloping at speed could result in your getting badly hurt or even KILLED, and you need to realize this, too. And if this happens, your parents will almost certainly SUE the camp for damages. I'm sure you wouldn't want to see that happen, but it's only too likely to. I'm willing to bet that this "camp" probably doesn't require you to wear protective headgear or a body protector, either, which is another red flag. A legitmate camp that's run by a group like the YMCA will ALWAYS put safety first, and will require protective headgear and appropriate dress for all riders at all times. A lot of these little privately owned places ( most of which exist only to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting people like you) DON'T.

You should call the camp now, before the season starts, and request that they refund your money, and then start looking for a camp that really WILL teach you how to ride in a safe manner. What this place is doing isn't SAFE, sweetheart. If you go there, it's almost a certainty that you're going to get hurt- and you could end up in the ICU if you have a really bad accident. I'm sure that your parents won't be happy if that happens- in fact, I would expect them to be mighty mad if you go to that place and get hurt. You're still a minor, sweetie, and your parents are responsible for what happens to you. You may have filled out the registration form for this camp, but I suspect that it is your PARENTS who are paying the bills for it. And incidentally, at your age, you need to be looking for a summer JOB instead of going to camp, so that you can start saving money for COLLEGE. You're old enough now to start learning about work and work related responsibilities, such as owning and driving a car. Most girls your age are already licensed, in fact. Some of the ones I know who are 16 and 17 have their own cars, and drive themselves to school and work in them. When I was 16, I had a series of summer jobs- one at a church camp, and one at a relative's farm where I helped pick crops and run the farmstand all summer.That's the kind of thing you need to be doing. You need to learn about money, about credit, and about the basics of saving and investing. You're not a child anymore, and it's also time you started learning how to earn a living for yourself, the way you'll have to do for the rest of your life. You shouldn't be spending your summer "playing", not at your age, unless by chance you are WORKING at the camp as a junior counselor or CIT. Even then, you need to be saving what you make from your job and not spending it.

I realize this probably isn't what you wanted to read or hear, but it's the truth. You need to stay away from this "camp", sweetie. They're out to make a quick buck, and they could care less about your safety or the safety of anyone else who's foolish enough to swallow their lure. They're not the only fish in the pond, either. You can do better somewhere else, believe me.

Source(s): I'm a horse owner and professional, and I spent many years teaching riding at a summer camp and Outdoor Education center. The camp/OE center I worked at was legitimate ( it was a YMCA facility) but the one the asker is talking about is NOT.

Don't clench your knees, try and relax at your hips and your knees while keeping your calves on. Also try and follow with your seat its kinda awkward but like move your butt in the saddle when the saddle moves. Also, keep your elbows relaxed and follow the horses head with your hands. Sit up straight and don't lean in around turns. Look up and ahead, not down. When in doubt, slow down. Don't do anything that you are not comfortable with. Also make sure you breathe and don't tense up as horses can sense that

Good luck and have fun!

Source(s): Experience

As long as the stirrups are correct length and your feet are in them, I don't see how you could fall. Unless you have a spooky horse, I wouldn't worry about it. When Cantering or galloping, you put more weight in the stirrups. I don't know if you ride english or western so I can't describe.

Source(s): go at your own pace

Keep your calves/lower legs tight on the horse, along with your knees and thighs. Also keep your heels down. Let yourself fall into the rhythm of the horse and tip forward very slightly. Good luck!