Anonymous

Joining a Fraternity?

I'm from Russia and I lived there for 15 years. After that, I moved to North Carolina and I've been living here for 3 years (now I'm 18). I am a US citizen and i have the US Passport. I'm finishing up high school right now as well (senior).

I am really interested in going Greek and I would love to join a fraternity,I've been reading about Greek system for a really long time. My question is: can a foreigner like me join a fraternity? Like, would they not give me a bid just because of my nationality? I do understand there are a lot of stereotypes about Russians (communists, hate Americans,which i think is just stupid gibberish) but I am a really Americanized Russian (although it might seem weird haha). Do I have any chances in joining a fraternity? I heard that all members of fraternities are Americans only, except for the international ones. I would love to hear an answer from a fraternity brother. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Please, don't tell me not to join a fraternity, I have been thinking about this for a while and I have already made my decision.

• Duke
    Favorite Answer

Such organizations look for new members to keep traditions alive. Little things like athletic ability, being an adonis, good grades and more will make things better for you.

Source(s): Brother of TKE
  • Angela

Frats have no right to discriminate against you for being a different nationality. Now, I live in a San Francisco and have attended schools all over CA and I have seen many fraternities with many different nationalities, cultures, etc - assuming you are not trying to join racist frat you should be fine.

BUT - I would suggest reconsidering seeing as frat boys are conceded, party animals with less depth than a puddle. But hey, I'm just a girl, most frat guys think my opinions are worth less than theirs since I have a vagina, so you may just agree with them and disregard this last part.

• WTP

Fraternities generally will not turn down potential new members solely because of their nationality, although having PNMs that are foreign is somewhat uncommon. That being said, it DOES vary region to region, from school to school.