Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

Am I making the right decision?

Prepare for a freaking book here in these details. This is somewhat of a life story. I am in desperate need of help, and would appreciate any input.

I am a sophomore in high school. I'm sixteen years old. I was heralded as a genius at a young age. I was in the gifted and talented program in elementary and middle school, won two spelling bees, scored a 1490 on the SATs in 7th grade, and won a math competition in 8th. My grades are not exactly stellar, but I have a passion for history. I study history on my own. It is a passion. I love reading about it and teaching it. That is what I wanted to do with my life. As a kid, I was incredibly shy, awkward, and ugly. I was picked on in middle school, and my grades were dropping. Not significantly, but they were not very good by any stretch. High school has helped me change my social awkwardness. I have become somewhat of a clown, and people kind of want to be around me now. I have more friends, I am more confident, and I am happy. At least I was. In January of this year, my life started a downward spiral. Last year, I made honor roll once the whole year. I got a 4.0 third marking period last year, but barely maintained over a 3.0 in the others (I wasn't really trying at all). I am still in all honors courses. This year I have been mediocre. My grades are straight up awful. I got a 2.84 last marking period, due to a straight up lack of effort (not studying, not doing homework, etc.). I have become depressed and angry, and feel trapped by the circumstances of my life. I made a decision that no one I knew would have expected: I made the decision to join the United States Marines. It was good for me. I became committed to getting in physical shape for the first time in my life. My mother is angry about it, my father doesn't know what to think, and my grandfather-who served in the marines when he was young-is telling me to stay away from the military. I took the ASVAB today, and it was incredibly easy. My goal is to attend a state college on an NROTC scholarship (state school because I have already gotten a few credits out of the way by scoring well on an accuplacer), serve as an infantry officer in the marines, and then start my life. Everyone is telling me that it's crazy because of how much of a wimp I was when I was younger. I have always lacked confidence. But I've been picturing myself in scenarios I may encounter, and I feel like I can surprise everyone. Even myself. I am determined to earn my self respect and confidence, as well as the respect of others. I am confident that this is right, but my grandfather has told me that I don't want to get involved with the United States Military. He doesn't explain why, but he has told me that I don't know "what the **** I'm in for". I have watched marine corps boot camp, I have seen combat missions in video. I have been preparing myself. I know videos aren't real life, but I have the determination to get myself through. But I want to know from other people. Is this the right decision? Can I do this? Is there something wrong with me?

Not depressed. WAS. I don't know why I put that in there. Ignore that. I have looked into this a lot more than people may think. I know I can get through better than anyone else. That I know for fact

^ I don't mean I can get through better than others, I mean I can get through better than people think I can. I know how I sound here. I want to join for the NROTC scholarship, to serve my country, and for self respect. and @John, what's so unbelievable about the story?

Favorite Answer

Gee you sound a lot like me so many years ago ....

People don't "get" people who don't stay in their stereotype. If you are a socially awkward geek they expect you to go to college and become and engineer of some sort. Joining the Marines doesn't fit the stereotype that people have of you. That's why they disapprove of your decision to join.

If you WANT to be a Marine then you should be a Marine. If you don't have what it takes it will be determined when you go to boot camp. Your relationship with the Corps is between you and the Corps - no one else.

Teddy Roosevelt was a nerdy guy but he was a rancher out west and volunteered to serve in the Army in the Spanish American War. Teddy Roosevelt Jr. landed at Utah Beach on D-Day and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. James Roosevelt was the son of President Franklin Roosevelt and he served as a Marine officer in WWII.

President Bush Sr. dropped out of Yale to join the Navy as a pilot. Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart flew on bombing missions over Germany. Three of the four Kennedy sons served in World War II - the other was too young.

There's nothing wrong with being both smart and in the military. The Marines will make you a better man and you will be able to handle yourself better in any situation. If you can get the NROTC scholarship - all the better.

I'm going to take a wild guess that you have ADD. When you go to college you might want to take meds for it so you can focus on your studies.

Semper Fi

P.S. If Teddy Roosevelt isn't your hero he should be. I recommend you start with "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris.

I have a real hard time believing your story. But I'll humor you

1. If you have depression and anger issues the Marines don't need you.

2. With your lack of effort what makes you think you will even make it through boot camp let alone a combat tour?

3. Your grandfather is right. You have no idea what you are in for.

4. You seem to have a superiority complex which will not go well in the Marines. There is always someone who is telling you what to do and how to do it.

Me personally I think you are too young to even make the decision. You are letting your testosterone make decisions for you. If I had a dime for ever 15-17 year old kid who came on here saying he wanted to be in the infantry I'd own this website.

Get your life straight now because the Marines don't have time to fix what you can't.

My answer is going to be relatively short, but sweet.

First of all, you sound like you have a really good head on your shoulders, and a good plan for the future. It also sounds like you are well on your way to developing a great deal of self-respect and self-confidence. Just the fact that you believe in yourself enough to take this incredible challenge-- well, that's a big start!

My dad was in college when the Vietnam war began, and he actually took a "leave of absence" from school to voluntarily join the Marine Corps. My grandparents just about croaked (even though my grandfather was a Marine Corps Corsair pilot during WWII)! Of course, things were different then, but my dad went to boot camp, spent 13 months in Vietnam as a scout-sniper and before too long, he was back in the civilian life. But let me tell you something-- he still considers himself a Marine, and always will. He has a Marine Corps ring (kind of like a high school class ring) that never leaves his finger. His two bronze stars and purple heart are hung proudly in his office. I think he is more proud of his association with the Marine Corps than he is of just about anything else in his life, and he has a lot to be proud of!

Additionally, I am the wife of a Marine. He's a logistics officer-- currently a Major-- and is in Bahrain right now. My husband, just like my dad, decided during his junior year of college that he wanted to be a Marine. He did everything he needed to do to "sign up," and he took a semester off from school to go to boot camp at MCRD San Diego. He came back, spent a year in the reserves while he finished college, went to OCS, we got married... and the rest is history! He absolutely loves his job. Now, it is true that it is not always easy. In fact, it is not OFTEN easy. But it is very fulfilling for him, and he plans to stay in until he retires (2018).

We've lived in Virginia, Japan, Missouri, and have been really lucky to have been at Camp Pendleton since 2005. I mean, it's hard to complain about San Diego. :-) Now, during our time here in California, he has been in Iraq for a year, Kuwait for 7 months, Bahrain for TWO YEARS, and is now in Bahrain again for 7 months. So, it's not a walk in the park. But it's worth it-- for both of us.

And can I tell you how excited my dad was when he found out I was going to marry a Marine? Seriously, I may as well have given my dad a winning lottery ticket! He was thrilled.

Anyway, I'm sorry that your family is not being very supportive of your path, but this is YOUR life, and I think that you sound like you know exactly what you want to do. If you miss out on (very reasonable and promising) opportunities because you're afraid of disappointing your family, you will very likely regret it. It would be different if you were chasing some far-fetched dream with little chance for success, but that's not what this is.

GOOD LUCK, and feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Source(s): Marine Corps wife, daughter, and granddaughter. :-)

My friends were in the army and they say it is extremely stressful and it can make people litterly make you insane, but I can't tell you if you made te right decision because only you know that answer but I can tell you that you are a brave, confident man who decided "I'm sick of being a wimpy nerd and I want to prove myself for everyone that I can be tough." No effence because I am the exact same way as you were and I'm sick of being picked on but I will prove them wrong. But anyways you made the decision that you thought was the best for you, don't listen to people if they will not at least support you. I support you.