Confusing Physical Science Question.?

I have a physical science problem that I am having a difficult time answering it. Please help me. The question is "Using Newton's Second Law, explain why sport cars are designed to be very light with a large engine."

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Faiz
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to the product of mass and acceleration:

F ∝ ma

F = ma

Light body sports car means that its mass is decreased:

F ∝ ma

m∝ F / a

It is found out that mass, m is inversely proportional to the acceleration, a. Hence, when mass decreases, the acceleration of the car will increase.

Meanwhile, large engine indicates larger force. Force is directly proportional to the acceleration. So, when force increases, the acceleration of the car will also increase.

• 4 years ago

Confusing Science Questions

• 7 years ago

Formula cars are light and have larger engines to increase top speed and acceleration of the vehicle.

How does 2nd law prove this?? well:

Second law: The acceleration of a body is directly proportional to, and in the same direction as, the net force acting on the body, and inversely proportional to its mass.

1st (Light Body) : As acceleration is inversely proportional to mass, If mass (Weight of Vehicle) increases, acceleration decreases or if mass (Weight of Vehicle) decreases, acceleration will increase.

2nd (Larger engine) Since Force is directly proportional to acceleration, the cars force (engine) is larger, acceleration increases or if the cars force (engine) is smaller, acceleration decreases

Hope this helped.

• roath
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Zero, that is by using what the gravitational competencies power increases with the aid of. The auto is ** no longer ** using up/down a ramp; the track is flat; so there's no alternate in potential vigor. By advantage of its pace, the automobile does has kinetic energy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.