Anonymous

Joining a Fraternity?

I'm from Russia and I lived there for 15 years. After that, I moved to North Carolina and I've been living here for 3 years (now I'm 18). I am a US citizen and i have the US Passport. I'm finishing up high school right now as well (senior).

I am really interested in going Greek and I would love to join a fraternity,I've been reading about Greek system for a really long time. My question is: can a foreigner like me join a fraternity? Like, would they not give me a bid just because of my nationality? I do understand there are a lot of stereotypes about Russians (communists, hate Americans,which i think is just stupid gibberish) but I am a really Americanized Russian (although it might seem weird haha). Do I have any chances in joining a fraternity? I heard that all members of fraternities are Americans only, except for the international ones. I would love to hear an answer from a fraternity brother. Thank you in advance.

• Duke
    Favorite Answer

Such organizations look for new members to keep traditions alive. Little things like athletic ability, being an adonis, good grades and more will make things better for you.

Source(s): Frat bro out west.

DanO - It's called a fraternity. Yes, of course you can have a social life without a fraternity. Clearly, from your stereotypical response, it sounds like you're just jealous of men in fraternities.

To answer the question, yes, a foreigner can definitely join a fraternity. They aren't going to deny you based your nationality. I know plenty of guys of different nationalities in fraternities. You get bids based on your character and how you appeal to the members. All in all, if you're a cool guy that they can see themselves hanging out with and becoming close friends with, you'll get a bid. Just rush and see which fraternities you like.

frats are for spoiled rich kids. the girls that go to there parties are nasty slu*ts. u can have good social life without joining a frat.