Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

my dogs been breathing heavily and loudly in is sleep?

Recently my 7 year old Jack Russel has been sleeping quite alot and when he does he has very loud heavy breathing, i'm quite worried as this has never happened before, when we disturb him he opens his eyes and breathes heavily still but then sleeps again, can someone help?

i've just took him out in the garden and i have to put him on his lead due to no fence, and he yelped as if his throat hurt?

• Gene D

Yes, a vet is "always" the sure way to go, but not everybody wants to run to the vet and drop $200. Still sometimes, even if you can figure out the problem, there's nothing you can do about it without vet to help. Here are some things I think of based on your description, but you can't really treat this stuff at home (no, don't give your dog human OTC meds!):

I'm not sure where you are, but it could be allergies. Where I am it is a record allergy season. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5472392_hay-fever-sympto... Does he have excessive discharge from eyes / snout?

Also consider diet allergies, and possibility of bloat (complete symptoms here: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-volvulus-bloat-... Has anything changed with his diet / exercise routine?

Last thing to come to my mind is parasites. Did you remember to restart heart-worm meds in the spring?

no, dogs are just like humans they snore in their sleep! dogs also have dreams, it is nothing to be worried about my dog snores really loudly and even runs in her sleep, although if her breathing seems scratchy like and almost like she is having trouble take him to the vet straight away, your dog may also be snoring loudly (if she never had done before) because he has a cold, dogs can get them too! and it makes there breathing heavier

It's best to go to a vet