.
. asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 7 years ago

Will diphenhydramine make me still sleepy the next day if taken night before?

I am planning to take diphenhydramine tonight to help me fall asleep since I have been falling asleep at 2am. I plan to take it at 9pm. Will I wake at 8am still drowsy from the drug????

Favorite Answer

It depends on the form you take it in and how much you take. A plain, 25 mg tablet or pill should wear off after about four or five hours -- plenty of time for you to wake up. More than that could leave you slightly hung over in the morning. A time release pill could last all night.

Source(s): Been there. Done that.

For me the substance decreases my quality of sleep. I wake up feeling dreamy and groggy. Not good if i have to be functional

...But then i dont have sleeping problems.

Maybe if you have sleeping problems and cant even get to sleep in the first place diphenhydamine may increase your quality of sleep or even give you sleep you dont usually have. This is better than no sleep or semi-sleep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine#Pharm...

remember this article speaks about "half life" so i'm guessing 8 to 17hours later it's still half in you but i don't know how to interpret exactly