Why do we want business to control society not the reverse?

Favorite Answer

Because we've been successfully brainwashed into thinking that capitalism is a virtuous system and that having more money somehow makes you a better person.

Um, it IS the reverse. This idea that corporations are impoverishing or controlling us has been around since the mid 1800s...arguably before! And it has been wrong the whole time.

First, we control businesses directly as employees within them. We make their policies. We make their good. We execute the decisions. Using the word "business" or "corporation" doesn't suddenly mean taht evil robots have come back from the future to run things...these businesses are run by people. By US.

Second, we control businesses via ownership. Most large businesses especially are publicly held. We all have a say in their policies. I get all kinds of stuff asking me to vote in this board election or for/against that policy decision. I largely throw them away because I am not educating myself on those issues and voting when you don't understand the issue is just introducing noise into the system. But I have the power should I choose to exercise it.

Third, and MOST POWERFULLY, we control them as consumers. The fact is that every corporation in America is chomping at the bit to be my servant. If I want a car, they make me a hundred different styles in a dozen colors with a dozens different options. If I want food they offer me thousands of choices varying in all kinds of ways. When want clothes the line up to fill the racks with everything they think I might want.

Corporations are my b*tch! I don't even have to ask them to jump...they already market tested and figured out how high I was likely to ask them to jump and jumped that high...just in case I might want it!

Part of it has to do with the huge propaganda machine that big business now has at its disposal: Fox News and talk radio for the common man, and the Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation for those who need a bit more veneer in their propanda.

The other part is consumerist society and the fact we're all more or less accomplices in this push to reduce all human life and value to a statistic. If they hadn't managed to make us ashamed of walking instead of driving, of not having a cell-phone to be connected 24/7, of not generally keeping up with the Jones - in a word, if marketing didn't work - we wouldn't have a vested interest in keeping the whole destructive thing alive.

My biggest objection to consumer capitalism has nothing to do with Marx and this whole idea that capitalists must underpay their workers in order for profit to exist. I kind of look at that as an accounting problem. More to the point is how it cheapens human life and reduces everything to a crass equation.

The fact people are even suggesting no longer teaching history in school is all the argument I need. History, of course, has no immediate marketable value. That's what's behind this. But it's also a completely ridiculous way to evaluate the value of knowing one's origins and understanding the past, its problems, how they were dealt with, the results, etc...

Because some people believe in the fairy tale that a regular, non-wealthy individual somehow possesses power equal to a multi-national corporation that has an army of lawyers, politicians in its pocket, billions of dollars, and spends a ton of advertising money on all the major media (news) outlets. Legislating as if that were the case (and clearly it isn't) only leads to the further concentration of power by business interests.

• Mike W

We let corporations get too cozy with the government. They wrote regulations for the government that was designed to kill any potential competition. When those companies begin to falter, as all companies eventually do, they had the government there to bail them out. If Preston Tucker were around, he could tell you all about it.

Because all the politicians are paid for by the corporations and elite. They all laugh at us because we come on here and fight over the division caused by the Propaganda created by both parties instead of standing up to them.

Thanks for making that up. They respond to how you spend. Just like the garbage you watch on TV makes them produce more reality shows. Consumers rule. I own a business and have thousands of bosses. I make what they will buy, they do not buy whatever I make. Grow up.

• John

We don't. We want a balance between free markets and societal interests.

Because we let the corporations do it. All because of that MONEY.