What are the advantages of an Internal DVD Drive?

I know that it's less expensive than an external, I don't have to worry about wasting space, but the cons seems like it outweighs the pros...

Could someone give me some good advantages/benefits of having an Internal DVD Drive? Because I'm planning on purchasing an internal, however I think external seems better. I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop by the way.

• isl247

Funny how quickly we've gone from "What? ___ doesn't have an internal DVD drive?!" to "Why would I want a DVD drive?"

Think about your computer use. Do you buy boxed software or do you download everything? Do you watch movies on disks or do you download them? Do you listen to music from CDs or have you ripped them all? Do clients send you files on disks or do you get everything via email/FTP/Dropbox/etc?

If you regularly need to use disks, then you'll really regret not having an internal drive. Personally, when we picked up a bunch of the new iMacs with no optical drives, it took a while to rip disk images of all the legacy software that my users need to use every once in a while, but now that it's done I don't miss the drives at all.

Internal vs. external CD and DVD drives http://www.helium.com/items/592956-internal-vs-ext...

• Bob

You have one less item to lug around.