Good sports to play starting at 13?

I tryed playing soccer and basketball, but I don't really like it. I can't dance or do gymnastics.and please,don't even mention tennis...

I already play on a travel softball team, so that kinda limits me to the sports I can play, like lax or field hockey.

Do you guys have any suggestions on sports I can play, starting at 13, that normally don't have girls that have been training since they were 2 years old in it....

Thanks guys!

• Libby
    Favorite Answer

I'd suggest volleyball - I know many girls around in my area don't start this sport until a little older and I believe this is usually a winter sport so it shouldn't interfere with softball.

You could try indoor track too - which is in the winter.

Lacrosse and softball are in the same season so....you'll have to make a choice. Honestly the best fall sport you could do- volleyball. If your good, and take lessons over the summer you will make the freshman team (what I'm doing :) ) Its easy compared to lax and basketball (my sports), and is just pretty relaxing. I just really need to spend some time after school. Plus it is great for meeting new people. Volleyball is huge in colleges so if you get good, you may get a scholarship. Field hockey is also a pretty fun fall sport. I know you said you didn't want to do basketball, but honestly I say try out for the winter. What's the worst that could happen? Basketball is literally the best sport I have ever played (I have tried field hockey, track, soccer, basketball, softball, lax, and motocross). Now, lax and softball are in the same season so you will have to make a choice. If you are truly in love with softball, or are GREAT at it. I'd say stick with it. But, lax is an amazing sport. I would say train this summer. Take some lax camps and clinics and develop the skill. Unlike other sports lax isnt for everyone. You need to have GREAT hand eye coordination, be strong, fit, able to push through people, be aggressive, be quick, and be confident. With out these natural skills, I;d say you are better off with softball. Good luck :)

Source(s): PG/G for 7 years, 2 year lax player. h.s tryouts only months away :)

Hey brother, I was a fat asss lazy bum until I started freshman football. Now I can do hella push ups when before i could only do like 5 or 10. high school is a great year to start, but if you want a headstart from your classsmen, 13 is a good year to start doing push ups, sit ups and free squats. Just don't overdo it or else it'll mess up your growth. So go ahead and do sports. You'll get the hang of it. On a final note, practice makes perfect, so diligence is key

Consider your physical body and try to think which sport is best suited for you. Ideally, it's best to start as soon as possible, but if you have a good teacher and you are a fast learner, you can be good in no time. There are some sports(yes) that do require at early start such as gymnastics. any other sport you can start around 13. i would stay focus, better yourself each day. most of these practices do translate into other sports like soccer to tennis, basketball to soccer vice versa, baseball, tennis, golf. don't get discourage so easily. there are abundance of youtube instructors.

Trust me, lacrosse and field hockey are so fun and so well worth it! I came up playing softball and dance and then I started field hockey and it ended up turning into my favorite sport. Trust me, it's so worth it. Anyways, field hockey and lacrosse are where all the scholarships are at. Softball is literally impossible anymore.