Should we all be Constitutionalists and not Cons or Libs?

I mean Conservatives break the Constiution under the Bush administration by torturing and not guaranteeing the right to a fair and speedy trial to alleged suspects of terror. And Liberals break the Constitution under the Obama administration by trying to pass laws that infringe on our 2nd amendment right to bear arms and protects ourselves. I mean I hate Conservatives and Liberal alike

Update:

Or the Patriot Act which allowed the spying on US citizens such as tapping phones obviously infringing on the 4th amendment

Update 2:

Or the Patriot Act which allowed the spying on US citizens such as tapping phones obviously infringing on the 4th amendment

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago

I would argue your initial premise was faulty. Those people being water boarded and indefinitely detained are not Americans, nor are they criminals. They are enemies in a war against us, and the Constitution does not give them any rights.

Your additional note about the Patriot Act is correct though.

So anyway, going to your initial point, I absolutely agree that I wish we were all Constitutionalists. I think this country would be much better off if we stopped ignoring parts of the Constitution, like the 10th Amendment.

• 7 years ago

My head is exploding! The right to a fair and speedy trial is reserved for US Citizens and US Permanent Residents. The Constitution does not protect outsiders.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No because we cannot agree the US constitution actually means or should mean.

there is a method to change it , the Amendment system that works just fine, if somewhat slowly

• 7 years ago

We should all just become decent human beings and good citizens and live by our constitution. This is a yes if it follows what you`re asking.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Or Libertarians... Because Libertarians are really the only ones with everybody's freedoms in mind.

• 7 years ago

I love how you think there is only one interpretation of the Constitution, and it covers all our political problems

• 7 years ago

Yes but too often everybody has to side with their own party on everything instead of thinking about what is right.

• team
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I mostly agree with that. But why should foreign terrorists get rights that US citizens have (or don't have since obama says he can detain US citizens indefinitely)

• 7 years ago

Simple fact is you lump libs with cons because of the gun debate!

Well some guns should be regulated!Such as the AR15 that kid used at Sandy Hook!

• 7 years ago

Wont change a thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.