get a social security number US?

Hi,

I would like to get or apply for a US social Security number so that I will get a loan for my masters program.

Can I apply for social security number before I get the student visa, so that the loan approval document will help me to get the student visa?

Thank You,

Lemichu

Favorite Answer

No, you can't apply for your SSN that early. In general, you need work authorization before you'll be issued an SSN. (Remember you can work on-campus or as part of your studies while on an F-1 visa.)

However, you should consider contacting the loan program about alternatives. If you say you don't have an SSN and won't be getting one in short order, they may be willing to accept something else.

You can't get a social security number unless you are a citizen or a resident alien.

As a foreign student, you can't qualify for a lot of scholarships and not for US subsidized loans. A lot of banks won't lend to foreign students because it's hard to collect from them. So, unlikely you will get a loan for your master's program unless you are a resident alien.

You can get a taxpayer ID number, but I don't know if they will accept that. (See link below)

No .. you employment possibility is none in the first year

then 20 hours a week on campus thereafter

you need the money up front ..

You wont get a loan in the US

He can not get a social protection selection and not utilising a artwork visa or a eco-friendly Card. interior the U. S. he ought to discover an corporation to sponsor the visa for him, he can not basically document for one. To get a eco-friendly Card he'd elect a member of his on the spot kinfolk to be here and document an immigration petition for him.

• Raelyn

No, you cannot get a SSN until you arrive on the US as a F-1 student.