Do hotel maids usually steal personally items?

I'm going to Washington, D.C soon, and I've been debating on whether I should take my camera or not. It's an expensive canon camera, and it's worth almost 400 dollars. I'm not afraid of losing it anywhere, because I take really good care of my personal items. One of the days on the trip, we'll be going to Busch Gardens, and it would be a pain to have to carry a camera around at the park. I want to leave the camera at the hotel on that specific day of the trip, but I'm afraid a maid would steal it. However, I do want to take amazing pictures in Washington D.C on the other days. What do you think? Should I take my camera and leave it at the hotel on one of the days on the trip, or is it too risky and I should just leave it at home? Long story short, do you think a maid would steal it if it were in the hotel room?

By the way, the hotel room does not have a safe; the hotel knows we will be gone all day since it's a group trip. This was all planned in advance.

Favorite Answer

I've never had a problem with it. I guess hotel maids have plenty of opportunity to steal stuff, but it isn't worth losing a job for a $400 camera that a maid would be lucky to fence for $50 or so.

If you're really worried about it, you can leave the camera at the front desk. They do that. Some of the classier hotels even have safes for peoples' jewelry.

• Storm

In my opinion, this is the difference between a Motel and a Hotel! Most hotels have safes, most motels do not. I would advise changing your room reservation, however, you mentioned that this is a group trip so that is probably not going to work for you!

Busch Gardens has a lot of great photo ops! You should take your camera with you for the photos, not because you're afraid it'll be stolen!

Busch Gardens does have lockers (for a fee) where you can store your "stuff" while you're there. That might be an option for you. Scroll down and look under "cameras" http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsb...

I've had maids steal from me before. I've had them steal some change that I had thrown in a cup. On another occasion, they stole my daughters Sudoku electronic game, probably thinking it was expensive when it was not. On both occasions, when I told the manager, they stuck up for the housekeeper. And on most doors of hotels, they have a sign full of legal writing. And it says that the hotel cannot be held responsible for items left in the room. I think you should stay at a place that has a safe, not all places do, and place the camera in the safe. Otherwise, if something happens to it, you're out of luck.

I don't know what chain you're staying with, but how would they know you'll be gone all day? I would just put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door if you're that worried. I stayed in a hotel downtown not too long ago and we left an Xbox, laptop and cash in the room. It was all there every time we came back. But this place was super expensive, and didn't have a safe in the room.

One word of advice: Tip! If you don't want your **** stolen because of your carelessness then leave a tip. Maids gets extremely happy when they see their guests tipping it just shows respect and appreciation. If you guys have left something accidentally and if you guys didn't leave a tip there is a chance the maid would take **** and then if you guys call the hotel and ask if the **** you guys left are in the room don't be surprised for them to say "No". Without a proof it is viral to accuse a maid for stealing **** especially if they're unionized. You'll never know if their union have a strong LAWYER.

just take it with you and keep it in like a backpack or something if you go sightseeing or just bring a disposable camera

Not if she want to keep her job.