Past medication and the military?

I have recently graduated from college and since I have always wanted to join the military I decided to gather more info about it. I discovered that if you have ever been treated for "anxiety", it is a "red flag" for joining. I was never diagnosed with anxiety (i.e. the code was never used), however my doctor prescribed me Klonopin to take "as needed" if I felt I needed it (when I was going through a rough period in my life), which I took maybe one time. The prescription and doctor's visits were over the course of about 1 year. This was 5 years ago, it never effected my school/work or anything to that effect. What are my chances of joining the military? Do I need a waiver?

My doctor already said she would write a letter stating that I'm 100% fit, however I doubt the Military cares about that since a doctor could easily be writing what they think the person wants to hear.

Favorite Answer

If you have been off the med for more than a year UNDER DOCTOR'S DIRECTION and symptom-free you should be okay.

Source(s): ***** 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran - Former Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Officer