Why do fighters punch in water?

I notice fighters punching in water, like Brock Lesnar and other UFC fighters, what does this accomplish?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It improves your speed A LOT! The water provides resistance on your hand that you do not get on land. Because of this if you punch in water a lot you eventually become used to punching against resistance, so when you go back to fight on land your punches will be way faster. I could go into explaining fast twitch muscles and oxygenation rates, but I will keep it short and simple.

Source(s): Used this training technique myself and seen the results.
  • 4 years ago

There is some correlation between head dimension and the capability to take a *good placed* punch with out being knocked unconscious, but a smaller head offers a smaller goal; i.E. It is harder to hit a small, well-defended chin. The potential to take a punch (or rather, the mechanism in the back of a knockout) is not a entirely resolved scientific query. What does seem to be moderately clear is that there are three accessories: A speedy acceleration of the brain, some factor of twisting or compression, and an unprepared fighter (which means a fighter who does not see the punch coming is extra prone to get knocked out than one who does, assuming all other matters are equal). A "good chin" then describes a fighter who can take a punch that elicits at least probably the most add-ons of a knockout, yet stays conscious (though no longer necessarily without damage. A fighter should sustain a concussion with out being knocked out). A powerful neck will help preclude the speedy twisting movement that appears to be a foremost element. A tucked chin presents a smaller target and additional prevents the fast twisting movement (although now not the straight-back compression motion that can knock a fighter out). A thicker cranium and/or higher jaw does appear to provide some security from a knockout, but now not from concussion overall (which appears to denote that, sure, a large head can take more punishment before the proprietor loses awareness, however that damage is injury and regardless of the dimensions of the head a concussion is likely although the fighter stays mindful). In reviews of alternative contact sports, a bigger head and thicker cranium didn't exhibit a massive protective outcome in opposition to concussion.

• 7 years ago

i do the same thing try it at your swimming pool. there is a major difference

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.