what should i do with my old destop computer?

Can I get cash for it or trade it, it works really well still

Favorite Answer

Keep it. Especially if it's been reliable so far.

Any time your main PC stops working for whatever reason you can use the other to help find out what's wrong and fix it. For example: If you can't connect to the internet and the other PC can then it's the new PC at fault. If the old one can't connect either it's either your modem/router or a problem with the service provider.

Very helpful to narrow down the problem before you pick up the phone to get someone to help.

This will give you peace of mind and you'll be free to try things you never could before for fear of breaking your only link to the outside world (though I might be talking about myself there, lol!).

Seriously - KEEP IT!

And muncedog has two good points:

1 - It might be worth zilch... I wish you'd given us some specs to go by so we could give some sort of value - But there's always more value in having a spare.

2 - If you allow it to go elsewhere YOU MUST REMOVE ANY POSSIBILITY of someone retrieving data from it - even deleted data can be retrieved. CCleaner has a "wipe free space" option but u have to be absolutely sure it has done it - takes hours and hours to wipe a 500GB drive FYI. Better to remove the hard drive and keep or destroy it.

(ONE LAST THING I always do with a new PC is plug the hard drive from the old PC into it - Then you have all your old data on your new PC w/o the hassle of copying it all over)

Good luck, have fun!

Source(s): I have several comps and they all contribute to keeping things running smoother and faster.

Depending on age it could be worth very little..

i.e more than 5 years old probably worth only 10% of what you paid.

Could be useful as a second PC for backup or just games or something you want to separate from your new shiny PC?

Else make it as clean as possible, clear all your data off it and sell it.

Just be careful when clearing data - if it held anything confidential it might still be on there when you think its not... might be worth destroying the hdd in that case!

Well that depends on its specs and its age. if it is newish like 3 years to current builds and you spent a bit of money on it, you could get some of the money back but if it is a 5 year old computer that you only paid for $200-500 back then it wouldn't really sell. you could use it as a back-up pc if it has a large hard drive or if you want to get into modding computers, make it your first project! (:

You should keep it. There are lots of little projects you can do with it. For example, a FreeNAS server to store your data. You could chuck it with a bunch of disks, it them in RAID, and with plugins, you can run a media server, or even a basic website. Or make it a Linux box to play with!

I would keep it for a backup. You never know when something is gonna happen to a computer - new or old. It's also the easiest thing to do with it! :D

~Cindy! :)

• ?

Donate it to the less needy especially a child .