Help asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

How fast will it take to lose weight if you continuously eat 500 cal per day?

I don't need to hear a rant of people telling me not to do this. It isn't about me, it's about a friend. She has consistently been eating 500 cal per day + working out, and is asking me since I'm a nutrition major, how long it will take before she sees results/ loses about 10 pounds? She is 5'4 and 119. All I'm asking is how many days it will take? Thank you :)

Favorite Answer

Since they're not heavy, it will take a bit longer. This isn't a 'rant', but if your friend is interested in losing weight, putting herself/himself into 'starvation mode' will cause her/his body to hold on to the weight. So again, it would take longer than a healthy diet.

For weight loss, it's recommended you consume 1200 calories per day. Look, I have EXPERIENCE with both of these methods.

First of all, starvation mode. Your body isn't getting all the nutrients it needs. I did this for years, thinking it was a great way to lose weight. I did lose weight, but not all that much. I became malnourished and sick all the time. It eventually led to not being able to wake up/get up in the mornings for College. So unless it's an extremely short term thing, they should stop it! She'll lose perhaps half a kilo in a week or more, and then her body will be trying to keep her stored food instead of burning it. Malnourished is not a good look!

Now, recently, I discovered an awesome app called myfitnesspal, perhaps you've heard of it? You can get it on your iPad, android, access it online, and it syncs all the info! It's basically an online food diary, but it tells you how many calories you should be consuming to lose weight. I recommend checking it out. I lost 3kg in 5 days from eating the correct mount of calories and making sure I do plenty of cardio and weight training (and I'm not even overweight).

As a nutrition major and a friend, you should not be letting your friend starve herself, to be honest. I didn't mean to 'rant' as you put it, but it's really just common sense. If they want to become anorexic, then fantastic, they're already on the way!

You can make a ballpark estimate by calculating the difference between the amount of calories she needs to maintain weight and the 500 calories she actually eats. This difference gives you the number of fat calories burned per day. Then convert the amount of fat burned into weight loss using the caloric content of body fat. This will work as long as she is burning only excess fat. It becomes a lot more complicated when people have already depleted all their body fat. Here's the steps:

1) calculate basal energy expenditure (BEE): The equation for women is: 66.5 + (13.8 x weight in kg) + (5.0 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age in years). [Harris-Benedict Equation]

2) Adjust BEE for the level of exercise by multiplying BEE by the activity factor. Activity factors are: 1.2 = sedentary, 1.38 = lightly active, 1.55 = moderately active, 1.73 = very active, 1.9 = extremely active. This gives the number of calories she needs on a daily basis.

3) Subtract 500 calories from the adjusted BEE to estimate the caloric deficit.

4) Divide the caloric deficit by 3,500 calories to calculate the pounds lost per day (based on 1 lb fat is roughly 3,500 calories).

• DeAnne

She probably won't lose much because the body needs more than 500 cals just to survive. To be healthy, sh'd need at least 1500. She's at a good weight now, maybe could lose up to 9 lbs which can be done in a month but she must EAT. A good diet/exercise plan would be:

Breakfast: Cook 9-grain cereal (from health food store) in water with rolled oats and wheat bran. Make a big pot of it on weekends and nuke 1/2 cup each morning. Add low fat milk or yogurt, banana, walnuts and berries. Drink hot Ovaltine. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day to raise blood sugar level which falls during the night.

Lunch: Egg, tuna or turkey ½ sandwich on whole grain bread with bean or alfalfa sprouts and yogurt w/fruit. If you had meat loaf for dinner, bring a meat loaf sandwich on whole grain bread (NO mayo). On cold days, a squatty thermos of hot chili, split peas with ham, or beef stew.

Snacks: Fresh (not canned) fruit: banana, orange, apple, kiwi, grapes, peach, nectarine, cherries, pineapple. No chips and nothing ever from a vending machine.

Dinner: salad with white meat chicken and fresh (not canned) veggies: tomatoes, 2 kinds of lettuce, 2 kinds of shredded cabbage, shredded or sliced carrots, alfalfa or bean sprouts, zucchini, green or red peppers, hard boiled eggs, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, tofu, cottage cheese...Instead of dressing, squeeze 1/4 tomato over it.

Or homemade bean/vegetable soups; great way to recycle leftovers.

Or grilled fish with steamed veggies.

Or omelet: In blender, whip together eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, onions, garlic powder. Cook with mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and green or red peppers.

Foods to avoid: junk food, fast foods, pastries, desserts, sugar, salty foods, syrup (even canned fruit in syrup), peanut butter, fat/grease (pork, wieners, chops, bacon, salami, pizza, chips, fries), pasta, potatoes, white bread, rice, canned veggies, ice cream, soda, chips. And of course no tobacco or alcohol in any form. Both of those add wrinkles and destroy your brain. No oil except olive and mac nut. Coffee also rots your brain.

To keep your skin clear, drink water. Veg. juice is good too. But not canned juice (too much sugar.)

Join a gym; they have all the equipment and staff to show you how to use it to get the look you want to achieve. Much cheaper than buying your own equipment. Go hiking, biking, jogging, bowling, swimming, rowing, jump rope, play tennis, badminton, volleyball, soccer, jumping jacks, lift weights, trampoline? To tone your tummy, do sit ups, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts and crunches.

If you lack energy to exercise, take Super B complex.

To lose weight, try an appetite suppressant.

3 days.

Source(s): I'm a licensed dentist

drink 3 cups of green tea in 24 hours researchers say it can increase energy expenditure by 106 calories

• Amy

her body will go into starvation and it itself alive to survive.

She will lose weight. Then, when she eats again, itll all come right back on.

Are you actually letting your friend eat that little a day? You do realise what that could do to her?

Very fast

make it a point to use the steps whenever possible use the bathroom on a different floor at work take the stairs at the bus station the airport or the mall

eat an apple instead of bottled juice