Bio 2: Which is the Correct Sequence of Blood Flow?

I have all the rest of the answers (there are 153 questions total on this worksheet), but this one is really bogging my mind down because I cannot find the right answer anywhere. Most texts say that the starting point is with the vena cava, but they don't say if it is the inferior vena cava, or the superior vena cava. So without further ado, here is the question:

Which of the following is the correct flow of blood through the heart if that blood is returning to the heart from the lungs?

I have narrowed it down to these 2 possible answers:

A) Inferior vena cava- R. Atrium- R. Ventricle- Pulmonary Artery- Lungs- Pulmonary Veins- L. Atrium- L. Ventricle- Aorta

B) Superior Vena Cava- R. Atrium- R. Ventricle- Pulmonary Artery- Lungs- Pulmonary Veins- L. Atrium- L. Ventricle- Aorta

My gut is telling me it is A, but a second opinion is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help Roland! But no, the only other 2 answers says "Superior Vena Cava-R. Ventricle-R. Atrium" and so on, and then the other says "Inferior Vena Cava-R Ventricle-R Atrium".

• Roland
    Favorite Answer

First of all, there is no STARTING POINT for blood.

It goes round and round.

Secondly, you didn't read the question closely.

It says ". . . if that blood is returning to the heart from the lungs."

Both answers A and B are correct paths followed by blood -

but neither one is an answer to that particular question!

However, the answer is the second half of both of them,

specifically, "Pulmonary Veins- L. Atrium- L. Ventricle- Aorta".

Was that one of the choices?

BTW, the superior vena cava brings blood from above the diaphragm muscle

into the right atrium.

The inferior vena cava brings blood from below the diaphragm into the right atrium.

Blood enters the left atrium through the Pulmonary artery from the lungs. Flows via the bicuspid valve to the left ventricle. Pumped out of the left ventricle via a semi lunar valve into the aorta. Branches by way of sequence of arteries to all parts of the body. Leaves the body tissues through quite a lot of veins and reenters the correct atrium of the guts via the vena cava. Via the tricuspid valve to the proper ventricle the place it's pumped via one other semi lunar valve into the pulmonary vein where it is passed to the lungs to be oxygenated. Then the whole approach starts once more!!! Hope this helps!