Leah asked in HealthOther - Health · 7 years ago

Do paramedics get opportunities to help out in third world countries like doctors do?

I want to be a paramedic, but I really want to go and help out in places like Africa in programs like Doctors Without Borders, but I'm not sure paramedics can do that or if it's just doctors and nurses.

• Buddy
    Favorite Answer

No. Doctors Without Borders will not accept a Paramedic from the US. A Paramedic from the US is considered a tech and not a professional since their training is less than a year. You should look at joining the military for your travel and humanitarian options.

There are opportunities for Paramedics who have a much higher base education such as those from Canada, Australia and the UK. I believe T is from one of those countries.

Yes there are several organizations that use Paramedics on overseas aid mission along with other medical personnel. I haven't been myself, but I have a few friends that have gone to assist in various locations.

Source(s): Paramedic